StageAgent.com Home |

Les Mis Schools edition

Discuss all your favorite musicals.

Les Mis Schools edition

Postby The Tenore on Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:45 am

Does anyone know the differences that are in the Schools Edition? e.g., which songs are omitted etc.
Specifically, I'd love to know what the ranges for Valjean and Marius are in it, because I'm guessing they're different from Valjean's top B I think it is in the professional one. A group near me is doing it, and it'd be really useful to know this stuff going into auditions.

Much thanks! :)
The Tenore

Re: Les Mis Schools edition

Postby Luphmuffin on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:53 pm

My High School did Les Mis the school edition. The biggest difference that I noticed was that parts of songs were cut out, but never the entire thing. Infact most of the songs have a little bit cut from them. I'm actually not sure if it's in the same key but I think that it is. At least all of the other parts were in the same key, so I know how Valjean and Marius could be any different.
Luphmuffin

Postby The Tenore on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:03 am

Thanks, I'm glad there aren't any missing songs- couldn't bear doing a half job :D
I think that Valjean is moved down to an A, which is within my range, so I'll definitely audition for that ^^
The Tenore

Postby Christina on Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:32 pm

If Valjean's or Marius' range has been altered at all in the School Edition vs. the Regular, it is barely enough to notice.
They did not alter the show to make it easier to sing, easier to act, the simply shortened it.
So many songs (To name a few : Stars, Turning, Dog Eat Dog, Little Fall of Rain, At the End of the Day) have missing verses to cut out the bulk. The most significant (not just size wise, but a truely great piece of the show) that was cut was the Confrontation after Fantine's Death.
Christina

Postby SingTooLoud on Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:14 am

We just did the school edition at a local theatre, and a lot of the songs have been cut and altered. One thing a bunch of us could not stand was the voices on the recording, but you get over it. They also speed up a bunch of the songs (mainly Eponine's songs), but a good director will make sure during the preformance it slows down. Hope you enjoy the show
"Great grief is a divine and terrible radiance which transfigures the wretched." -Victor Hugo
SingTooLoud

Postby The Tenore on Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:16 am

I almost cried when you said Confrontation had been cut =/
There are plenty of other good songs, but I really love that one. Ah well, Who am I? is still up for grabs ^^
The MD at the company I'm currently with knows the musical inside out so he's offered to prep me for the audition.
Thanks for the info everyone!
The Tenore

Postby Gigi24601 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:04 pm

I did the school edition a few years ago and all the stuff they cut drove me CRAZY! They cut so many wonderful verses... Be forewarned... :cry:
Gigi24601

Return to Musicals