StageAgent.com Home |

Nunsense

Discuss all your favorite musicals.

Nunsense

Postby Gigi24601 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:07 pm

Is the show Nunsense disrespectful of relgion/Catholicism/Christianity, or is it just playful?
Thanks!
Gigi24601

Re: Nunsense

Postby Annie on Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:22 am

It all depends on your interpretation. Having just stage managed one production and acted in another I can honestly say that most people, including the Catholic audience members get a big kick out of it. The show started as a joke/skit and grew into a full fledged show. It is meant to be fun and for the most part it is not meant to be taken seriously. There are a few moments in the show that are serious, but those are few and far between.

I recommend renting the DVD if you can find it, Netflix does not have it, I had to buy it from Amazon. If you are able to get a copy of it keep in mind that your director might change stuff. For instance I was in it at a Christian theatre and a some of the words or jokes(damn, hell) were altered. In the one I stage managed nothing was changed. Plus I'm not a dancer and I couldn't do pointe so I was able to do the Dying Nun Ballet on skates, which turned out to be one of the audiences favorite scenes. Who knew roller skating could be so impressive?

I'm not sure if you're looking into it for directing or acting purposes, or just to watch a production, but the show is a lot of fun, very high energy. It has a lot of songs and can include a lot of choreography and with only five characters there isn't a lot of down time. However if you're a comedic actress this is a great way to show off your skills.

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby Gigi24601 on Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:11 pm

Thanks for the information; I really appreciate it! I'm considering potential shows for a Christian performing arts school with a primarily female cast and an emphasis on dance, so that's why I was wondering. It sounds like Nunsense could be great for us! Thanks a lot!

Ballet on skates--that sounds fun! :)
Gigi24601

Postby chivepicker on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:43 pm

I want to audition for the part of Sister Mary Amnesia. Any suggestions for appropriate audition songs?
chivepicker

Postby Annie on Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:37 pm

I can't think of anything in particular off the top of my head, but make sure that it is something uptempo and fun/comedic/character. The show has so much variety musically that it gives you a wider range to choose from. Amnesia sings all of the high notes which tend to be above the staff. Even though I played Leo in my production I had to sing them because our Amnesia was an alto (long story...). Anyway make sure you sing something that shows that you can sustain a high range. One of her songs is country/western if that helps.

When is your audition? If I think of anything in particular before then I'll post again :)

Break a leg!

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby chivepicker on Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:14 am

August 6,7,8
chivepicker

Postby Dancergirl on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:11 am

The show nunsence is really just comedic.
Dancergirl

Return to Musicals