StageAgent.com Home |

What Musical??

Discuss all your favorite musicals.

Re: What Musical??

Postby nellfinley on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:47 pm

You might want to take a look at a book by Peter Filichia called Let's Put On a Show. He groups shows by categories such as "mainly female", "all singing, no dancing" - It's a paperback and not very expensive. There's also a new version of the book coming out just about now.
Also - Sites like music theater international and tams-witmark list shows by category also. Good luck to you
nellfinley

Postby lilmissdaae on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:14 pm

I know you already have many suggestions, but I second Into the Woods.

It's a very fun show with very minimal dancing. Whatever you come up with, good luck and have fun!
lilmissdaae

Postby hbdc on Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:43 pm

Why don't you take a look at some of the older Rogers and Hammerstein shows? They aren't dance-heavy and they are a lot of fun and very wel-constructed. And there is some beautiful music.
OKLAHOMA has good parts for three strong girls and one non-singing girl's role. It does need boys - but they are generally cowboys -which might make it easier to recruit some guys. And there is lots of good chorus work for girls.
THE SOUND OF MUSIC uses lots of girls - very little dance.
And SOUTH PACIFIC has three good parts for girls - lots of girl chorus work - but you do need one great guy singer. It is a timely topic right now and it's a show with a really good message.
Good luck.
hbdc

Postby ed griffith on Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:26 pm

It sounds to me like you should be thinking of "Gypsy". An almost all female show for strong ladies. Smaller male roles with nice moments. Can be done glitzy but not expensive. Also, if you have a really strong girl to choose from, "Funny Girl" is hardly ever performed any more.
ed griffith

Postby Rachster on Sun Oct 07, 2007 2:49 am

I agree, Gypsy is the way to go. It's a great show and has great music and most high schools don't do that show. IT will be good and different.
Rachster

Postby MT_Drama_me on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:43 pm

We did 'The Music Man' last year, and we have a small cast too, and that worked out fine. You could also include a couple people from your community. Just a suggestion.
MT_Drama_me

Postby tortallcit on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:32 pm

Cinderella is an extremely campy musical, bus as with our high school, is the best bet... only 3 male singers needed are the prince, the herald, and to some extent, the king; although our king managed to fake through it. Very limited dancing too, especially if you cut the Cinderella waltz.

Oklahoma needs only 2 good male singers- Curly and Will Parker. Judd and Ali Hakim can be played with limited vocal skills. However, it would be very difficult to get a large enough chorus.

Annie requires only 2 male singers... Daddy Warbucks and Rooster...I think...
Working on:
Assistant Stage Managing for "Oklahoma"
Stage Managing, Monologue, and Sound Design for "Anthology"
Spotlight for "Christmas Follies"
One-Act Tryouts after X-mas
tortallcit

Postby sim_oholic on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:23 pm

You know what show sounds good? Little Shop of Horrors. It's got a small cast and little to no dancing. Seymour's a high baritone/low tenor and Mr. Mushnik and Audrey II are pretty much the only other male singing parts. True the Dentist but it's a rather. Just a suggestion but think about it! And I hope you find a good school! Good luck!
sim_oholic

Postby Madgenation on Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:47 pm

Look to older plays - Showboat, The Old Mill, Gilbert & Sullivan shows(the royalty issue for G&S is a plus). Plain and Fancy has beautiful music and dance numbers. Babes in Arms, Newsies, Honk are geared to younger performers. Little known show Rags has a tour de force number for a soprano.
Madgenation

Postby DaisyHolly on Thu May 01, 2008 2:56 pm

I also nominate Into the Woods. We just did it at school that boasts a graduating class of about 75 each year. We had 5 very talented girls and 4 somewhat talented boys that all had fairly large parts. (Does that sound right? Please excuse the double entendre.) Anywho, it was my first year as a director and I managed to do staging and choreography with the help of the video of the musical from the late 80's that starred Bernadette Peters. I think, that for a small school, this is a great musical that gives most of the characters a lot of exposure (again, please pardon me) and opportunity to shine. There is a lot of difficult timing in the songs (apparently, Sondheim is good for this) and a lot of subtle humor. I recommend it highly!
DaisyHolly

PreviousNext

Return to Musicals