StageAgent.com Home |

What show should I do?

Discuss all your favorite musicals.

What show should I do?

Postby theatreisme121 on Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:52 pm

I am a theatre director at a college in dallas, texas. Last year, we added a program where teenagers, from the ages of 13-18 have there own shows. These teenagers had a very intense adution where they had to sing, dance ( had to have a basic knowledge of tap), and at least 3 years of theatre experenice. 192 teenagers adutions, and we excepted 29 extermely well talented students that are ready to learn. The past muscials we have done are [i]Children of Eden, Pippin, The Secret Garden, Wicked Cabaret, Avenue Q( An edited version), Wicked Cabaret, and we are currently doing godspell. Rehersals last from 9:00 a.m. tell about 7:30 p.m. The hours are extremly long, with only about a week and a half to put it together. But every show has turned out AMAZING with kids getting acting jobs!!! Currently I have no idea what show to do next. There are 17 girls, and 12 boys who can handle anything. Dancing is always a HUGE part in each prouduction so there must be a lot.
I was wondering if anyboy has any ideas for shows to do?
theatreisme121

Re: What show should I do?

Postby BigG411 on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:09 pm

May I suggest 42nd Street? It is a great show with catchy tunes and a lot of dancing.
BigG411

Postby phewie on Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:37 pm

i think you should do 'A Chorus Line'. Dance is a BIG part of this show, and the music is great! this is one of my favourite shows, and i think the kids would love it! (the script may require minor alteration, because profanity is used in the script.)
Good luck!
phewie

Postby modernmillie on Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:00 pm

I agree with A Chorus Line. It's a wonderful show to do, especially if everyone is strong in dancing.
modernmillie

Postby Dancergirl on Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:09 am

I think that A Chorus Line would be a great show to do. Anything Goes is also a good dancing show. The show I really want to do is Fame. Fame involves lots of good singing and dancing.
Dancergirl

Postby matthewTN on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:38 pm

If you look at some of the older shows, the amount of dancing depends on what you want to do. Shows like Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Oklahoma!, Hello, Dolly!, Guys and Dolls, the Music Man - anything with big chorus numbers has the potential for some great dance showcases.
matthewTN

Postby MT_Drama_me on Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:44 pm

I recommend "The Music Man". It's a really cute musical, and I fell in love with it.
MT_Drama_me

Postby lilmissdaae on Fri Nov 16, 2007 7:16 am

'A Chorus Line' sounds like a perfect show for your group and what you're trying to accomplish.
lilmissdaae

Postby sim_oholic on Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:19 pm

May I suggest Jesus Christ Superstar? It's an incredibly demanding show vocal wise for the leads but the dancing is really flexible. There is so much you can do with it. I just finished a production of it at a community theatre in my area and we had some crazy intense dancing in there. It was a solid production. I think Superstar would be a good experience. It's something outside the box you know? 70's rock doesn't hit a msuical oo often. Show the kids something other than what they listen to now.
sim_oholic

Postby thisispointless on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:51 pm

How about cats?
the wiz is also a good choice, there is a lot of dancing in that, and you could always double roles.
Even a legally blonde musical cabaret would be nice, lots of dancing, and, again, you could double parts. this is also a very fun show to put on.
thisispointless

Next

Return to Musicals