StageAgent.com Home |

Musicals Compared to Plays

Discuss your favorite plays.

Musicals Compared to Plays

Postby broadwaybound on Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:10 pm

I have noticed that there are quite a few more posts on the musical forum than the play forum. Is this proof that people prefer musicals? I believe musicals do hold peoples' attention longer due to the music, but I can often times be even more enthralled with a performance of a mere straight play. I am a musical person, but i also love performing in plays. I am interested in hearing your thoughts about why people, if they do, prefer musicals.

-I'll give her this much, she doesn't give a twig about what other people think!
-No, she does, she just pretends not to.
-Fiyero and Galinda, Wicked

why try to fit in when you are born to stand out?

*SHINE*
broadwaybound

Re: Musicals Compared to Plays

Postby Annie on Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:15 pm

Personally as an actress I prefer plays to most musicals because they tend to involve deeper characters and better story lines. I'm not saying that all musicals are fluff, but a lot of the ones they do around where I live tend to be. I love singing, but I am old enough that I can just go to karaoke if I want to sing.

As for why there is more musical related talk going on I can only answer for myself and that is... there are more aspects that go into auditioning for a musical. It's not just about acting ability, but dancing and singing as well. With plays you simply read for the part you want, whereas with musicals you have to find a song and (sometimes, but not where I live) a monologue that fits the role you want. A lot of directors for musicals that I have worked with tend to look for strong singers first, actors second. Plus, at least in my area, there are a lot more musical theatres than there are regular theatres auditioning and putting on shows. Even all of the shows that tour through this area are musicals only.

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Return to Plays