StageAgent.com Home |

Garza hasnt pitched

Announcements from StageAgent.com

Garza hasnt pitched

Postby kaisy on Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:52 am

SUNRISE – The job that was supposed to belong to high-priced free agent signee Tim Connolly remains in the hands of Tyler Bozak. nike free deutschland . The 25-year-old has registered 19 points in the last 20 games playing pivot for Phil Kessel and Joffrey Lupul on the Leafs first line. And with 24 points already this season, Bozak is just eight points from matching the total he had all of last season in an underwhelming sophomore campaign. “I think the main thing for me is just confidence,” he told the Leaf Report. “Im confident now that I can get the job done out there; I can get points, I can keep my own end clean and whenever youre playing with confidence youre a way better player.” Several improvements have sparked the breakthrough third season, many of which stem from greater accountability in the defensive zone. Struggling to put points on the board early last season, Bozak admittedly cheated in his own end, looking to jump-start the production expected of a first-line centre. “But you find out the hard way that that just results in more goals against and less goals for you,” he said. The minus-29 rating, which stuck like a scarlet letter to his name (and was amongst the worst in the NHL) was a source of real frustration and top priority for cleanup this fall. A plus-5 rating thus far demonstrates progress in that regard. “Obviously theyre still going to be mishaps,” Bozak said. “Were an offensive line and we want to produce offensively and not spend a lot of time in our zone so theres going to be times where we give up some goals, but were plus players this year which is nice.” Offensively in the past, there was a strong tendency on Bozaks part to force-feed Kessel the puck. Running shotgun with a regular 30-goal man, he felt the need and obvious pressure to find his high-powered linemate as much as possible. “Early in my career I would force it to Phil all the time,” Bozak conceded, “and even he doesnt want me to do that; he wants me to take my shots when I have my opportunities.” Without a goal in the opening 14 games, Bozak has found twine seven times now in the last 20 games. “Im more confident now that I can score goals. Obviously still a pass-first guy and Im going to be looking to make the pass first, but Im not going to force the stuff like I used to,” he said. According to Bozak, the offensive pitfalls – which saw him post just 15 goals and 32 points in 2010-2011 despite logging over 19 minutes a game – tied back to what became a constant mental struggle in the defensive end, a circular effect considering the initial source of the miscues (cheating for offence). “I think last year wasnt [so much] confidence [that] I couldnt score,” he explained, “it was just every time I was on the ice I thought I was going to get scored on, more so than thinking I was going to score or our line was going to score. And this year every time we get a shift I think theres a good chance that we can get a goal between the three of us.” Kessel (41 points) and Lupul (38) sit comfortably amongst the league leaders in scoring this season, primarily (and rather unexpectedly) with the third-year centre in the middle. Connolly was inked to a two-year contract this past summer, specifically to fill the first-line centre void, but with injuries and the lines continued success without him theres been little reason for Ron Wilson switch things up. He aimed ever so briefly last week to get “more the look of what we expected” with Connolly in between Kessel and Lupul, but after two periods reverted back to Bozak. “I was able to get on [the line] at the right time when Loops and Phil got hot,” Bozak noted. “They obviously dont want to break up a line thats doing well so I think a lot of the credit goes out to the wingers for that.” In addition to the flexibility hes provided down the middle, Bozak has also recently returned to the penalty-kill – a role he filled with some success last season – while remaining a quiet, but effective presence on the leagues 3rd ranked powerplay (nine points). Brian Burke claimed to have added a player of first-round caliber when he signed Bozak as a free agent from the University of Denver. With his performance so far this season, Bozak is beginning to justify that hype. Five Points on Ron Wilson 1. Ron Wilsons contract extension – believed to be a one-year deal according to TSNs Darren Dreger – caught many off-guard, but according to Wilson the deal was finalized at some point in early December. Burke offered some interesting insight into his decision to extend Wilson on Monday afternoon. “Ive got news for you,” Burke said. “If the Toronto Maple Leafs fired Ron Wilson hed be working again in about two weeks. This is what people dont realize; theyre chanting ‘Fire Wilson [last season]. The first thing is, is that guy going to be hired right away by somebody and I think the answer is yes…like every coach hes worked in several places, [but] he hasnt been out of work very long and theres a reason for that, the hockey community believes in this guy. And the second thing is people say ‘Fire the coach and you say ‘Okay, thats plan A, were going to fire the coach, whats plan B? Whos out there with better coaching credentials than Ron Wilson? To me, this is the right thing. I think Ron earned it and Im happy for him.” 2. The Leafs have missed the playoffs in each of Wilsons three seasons – they sit sixth currently this season – but according to Burke, much of that load rests on his shoulders. “This has been the hardest period of my professional life as far as waiting for this team to finally round into the type of team that I wanted to put on the ice,” he said. “And I think we have that group now…Ive been through the turnaround process before. One time it took four years to get to where we wanted to be (Vancouver), one time it took two years (Anaheim). No, Im disappointed in how long its taken me to do this.” 3. Those fortunate to find a place in Wilsons good books have his constant backing. Bozak is among them. “Rons been awesome towards me,” Bozak said. “Hes given me a chance every year and obviously sees something in me and is confident in me. Hes putting me out there in situations where I never knew Id be out in the NHL. Im confident now. Im confident I can go out in those situations and get the job done. He helped build my confidence a ton for sure.” 4. Darryl Boyce is another to have caught Wilsons eye with his relentless job pursuit last season. Boyce turned a one-game last minute call-up into a 46-game stint. “Its like everyone, youve got to build a trust with people and build a good rapport,” Boyce said. “It started early on in my first 10 games and then he put a little bit more trust in me the next 10 and it just sort of gradually built from there; from the first game being back [with the Leafs] against Buffalo and seeing that he had no fear of putting me on the ice with a minute left in the game in a one-goal game. Im grateful for that and glad to be put in those positions on the ice.” 5. Contract extension and all, job security has hardly grown for Wilson and he knows that. “Ive seen lots of coaches get fired this year with lots of term left so the pressure doesnt change,” he said. “I could get fired next week for all I know. I have a little bit of combat pay coming in other words.” News-The Leafs placed John-Michael Liles on IR with concussion-like symptoms. While theyve yet to acknowledge the correlation, Liles took a huge hit from Sabres forward Paul Gaustad last Thursday, missing the following game in Long Island with a sore neck. Ron Wilson said Liles was feeling better today, but not well enough to go (he did not skate). "Right now its best that he just sits out and stays away from the rink for a couple of days, simple as that," Wilson said.-Liles joins Mike Komisarek (arm), Matthew Lombardi (shoulder), Mike Brown (back), and Colby Armstrong (concussion) on the injured reserve. Phillipe Dupuis is also still nursing a broken thumb.-James Reimer makes his fourth consecutive start in goal. Reimer and the Leafs have won their last two games.-The Panthers beat the Leafs in their only meeting this season, winning by a 5-1 final on November 8th. Stephen Weiss wont play for the Panthers because of an upper-body injury. Jose Theodore is expected to start in goal.-Nazem Kadri has scored in both games since being recalled from the Marlies. LinesLupul Bozak KesselFrattin Grabovski KuleminMacArthur Connolly KadriBoyce Steckel Crabb Aulie PhaneufGunnarsson SchennGardiner Franson Reimer Injured: Komisarek, Lombardi, Brown, Armstrong, Dupuis, Liles. nike free billig . The five-year CFL veteran suffered the injury in Sundays 17-1 road loss to the Saskatchewan Roughriders. Eskimos general manager Eric Tillman called the injury "terrible news for this young man and our club" in a statement released Monday night. nike free billig schuhe . -- Justin Abdelkader is getting over his slow start for the Detroit Red Wings. http://www.nikefreeschuheshop.eu/ . Ana Ivanovic evened the round-robin tie by overwhelming Australian 16-year-old Ashleigh Barty 6-2, 6-3. Barty made a positive start, but once Ivanovic made the first break to lead 4-2 she took almost total control. nike free deutschland billig .S. Open final. The Serb is a two-time winner in Beijing and remained undefeated at the tournament after converting both his break points in the third set, and holding his own serve throughout the match. nike free deutschland damen .J. -- The New Jersey Devils have reached an agreement with high-scoring left-winger Zach Parise on a one-year-contract worth US$6 million. SAN DIEGO -- Chicago Cubs right-hander Matt Garza has been placed on the 15-day disabled list and will be shut down "indefinitely," general manager Jed Hoyer said Monday. Garza hasnt pitched since he felt stiffness in his right elbow in a July 21 start at St. Louis. An MRI of his elbow showed some irritation at the tip of a bone in what is being characterized a "sttress reaction. nike free schuhe. ." Hoyer said Garza wont throw for at least two weeks, but he didnt rule out the possibility of his return this season. Garza was 5-7 with a 3.91 ERA in 18 starts. Raley was 4-8 with a 3.62 ERA in 14 starts with Triple-A Iowa. The Cubs are expected to recall left-hander Brooks Raley to make his major league debut Tuesday in San Diego. ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements