StageAgent.com Home |

But she said winning gold as a coach

Announcements from StageAgent.com

But she said winning gold as a coach

Postby kaisy on Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 am

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. Ray Rice Jersey . -- Before he could celebrate his first NCAA tournament victory as a head coach, Josh Pastner had to sweat out a couple of frantic seconds. Memphis held on -- though the Tigers learned quite a lesson about how quickly a game can slip away. Matthew Dellavedovas 3-pointer from the right wing sailed long as time expired, allowing the sixth-seeded Tigers to breathe a sigh of relief. Memphis beat 11th-seeded Saint Marys 54-52 on Thursday after nearly blowing a five-point lead in the last few seconds. "All I know is when you wake up the next morning, its a W -- at this time of the year, its win, baby, win. Survive and advance," Pastner said. The Tigers (31-4) led by 15 in the first half but nearly gave the game away at the end. With Memphis up 54-49, Eividas Petrulis banked in a 3-pointer with 3.1 seconds to play. The Tigers then lost the ball when the Gaels Jordan Giusti deflected the inbound pass off Joe Jackson of Memphis and out of bounds. "I shouldve called a timeout. It was my fault, but I just wanted to get it in to one of our best free throw shooters," Memphis sophomore Adonis Thomas said. "It bounced off Joe. It was on me. I shouldve called a timeout at the end, but the game was going so fast." Saint Marys (28-7) was out of timeouts but had a chance to regroup while officials reviewed the previous sequence. The extra time didnt matter. Dellavedova, the career leader in scoring for Saint Marys, was able to get a shot off, but it missed everything. "As soon as Delli got the ball in the corner, we all thought it was going to go in," Saint Marys forward Brad Waldow said. "We knew it was going to go in, but it just didnt fall. Thats it." It was the first win in the NCAA tournament for Memphis since 2009, when John Calipari was still coach. The Tigers face third-seeded Michigan State on Saturday. D.J. Stephens had nine points and eight blocks for Memphis, and Jackson had 14 points and seven assists. Waldow scored 17 points to lead Saint Marys. Dellavedova had 10 points, seven assists and six turnovers in 40 minutes. The Gaels beat Middle Tennessee on Tuesday night in the First Four, but they fell way behind in the first half against Memphis and struggled all game with the Tigers athleticism, especially around the basket. Memphis finished with 12 blocks. Saint Marys had none. "We knew that Dellavedova was the floor general for this team," Stephens said. "The plan for the game was to pretty much keep the ball out of his hands as much as we could -- make somebody else have to initiate the offence. And we were pressing, making sure he couldnt get the ball and bring it up the floor, and it kind of threw them out of rhythm a little bit." The Tigers led 32-22 at halftime. Dellavedova started the second half with a 3-pointer, and the Gaels trailed by only five at 32-27 before Geron Johnson scored on a tip-in for Memphis. Waldow then had his shot blocked twice in a 15-second span, once by Stephens and once by Tarik Black. Even Stephens less successful plays were spectacular, like a missed dunk off an offensive rebound with about 15:30 to play. Beau Levesque had a chance to tie it for Saint Marys with a 3-pointer, but the ball came out of his hands awkwardly, and the shot ended up missing everything. Memphis went on an 8-2 run after that, which included a one-handed dunk by Stephens and a 3-pointer by Chris Crawford that made it 44-35. "Theres no way to explain what happened," Levesque said. "Were a good shooting team, and weve been hitting shots lately, and tonight nothing would go in. I dont know the last time I shot the ball like I did tonight. I have no idea what happened." It was 44-40 when Mitchell Young tried to drive on Stephens. Blocked again. A 3-pointer by Jackson put the Tigers up seven, and they appeared to be out of danger until those anxious final seconds almost ended their season. "I was totally at peace," Pastner said. "You might not believe me, but I was." Stephens set the tone early in the game by blocking a shot by Young. The 6-foot-5 senior would go on to block four shots in the first half, and the Tigers were just as tough on the perimeter, pressuring Dellavedova all over the court. The Saint Marys guard didnt come apart, finding teammates with a few nice early passes, but the Gaels never seemed totally comfortable offensively. After Dellavedova found Waldow for a dunk and an 11-9 lead, Memphis scored 10 straight points, including 3-pointers by Thomas and Jackson. The Tigers led 28-13 after a three-point play inside by Black, and it was 32-20 after Jackson found Stephens for an alley-oop dunk. Sam Koch Jersey . A report posted on the Denver Posts website Monday night says Roys younger brother, Stephane Roy, leaked the impending announcement. Ray Lewis Womens Jersey . LOUIS -- St. http://www.ravensofficialteamstore.com/ ... ma-33.html . The Miami Dolphins had become masters of last-minute misery in their past two games, finding creative ways to give em way. Arthur Brown Womens Jersey . The timing of his return turned out to be perfect against the Detroit Tigers. Plouffe celebrated his 27th birthday on Saturday with three hits, including a two-run homer, in the Twins 6-3 win over the Tigers. Michael Oher Womens Jersey . Brett Wallace smashed a three-run homer among his three hits and Edgar Gonzalez picked up his first big league win in more than four years as the Astros topped the struggling Pittsburgh Pirates 5-1 on Monday.OTTAWA -- The Canadian womens hockey team a has set its sights on a fourth straight Olympic gold medal at the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, and Dan Church has been tasked with leading them there. Church was named the head coach of Canadas national womens team for the next two seasons Wednesday. The 39-year-old Toronto native recently coached Canada to a gold medal at this years world championships, Canadas first world title since 2007. Canadas women have captured gold at the last three Olympics and Church knows anything less in Sochi will be a disappointment. "Were looking to get better over the next two years and to have a dominating performance by the time we get to Ottawa next year and then to the Olympics in 2014," he said. Ottawa will host the 2013 womens world championships. Two-time Olympic gold medallist Danielle Goyette was named an assistant coach for both seasons. The remaining coaching staff will be named at a later date. Church, who has coached the womens hockey team at York University the past nine years, said the team is looking forward to defending its world title on home ice next year. A selection camp will be held in Ottawa in January, and Church anticipates some stiff competition amongst players. "We have a lot of great veteran players on our team right now who lead by example and did a great job in the gold medal game and scored some big goals for us," said Church. Terrell Suggs Womens Jersey. "Were also in a period where we have a lot of younger players who are making their first appearance on national teams or heading to their first Olympics or just their second Olympics. "Theres a good pool of young players who are always pushing for spots and thats a key to success. You cant get stagnant." Church and Goyette worked together at this years world championships, and Goyette believes the players will benefit from consistency in the coaching staff leading into Sochi. "Different coaches have different game plans and you cant expect players to just turn on a switch and understand a new system," said Goyette, coach at the University of Calgary for the past six years. "I think having the same coaches will definitely help the team be more competitive." Having experienced the Olympics as a player, Goyette understands the pressure players will be dealing with. But she said winning gold as a coach at the world championships was 20 times more rewarding than winning it as a player and shes excited about the opportunity to capture gold at the Olympics. "Were new coaches and now we have to put our stamp on the team," said Goyette. ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements