StageAgent.com Home |

LA QUINTA, Calif. - When Mark Wilson got to 8 under through

Announcements from StageAgent.com

LA QUINTA, Calif. - When Mark Wilson got to 8 under through

Postby kaisy on Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:00 am

LA QUINTA, Calif. - When Mark Wilson got to 8 under through 11 holes on the Palmer Private course Friday, he seriously discussed golfs magic number with playing partner Harrison Frazar, who once shot a 59 on another Humana Challenge course. "I dont know why the conversation went there ... but I thought about it," Wilson said. Wilson ended up posting the lowest score of his career, and that 62 wasnt even the best round of the day in the desert. Bob Hopes name is no longer on this reformatted tournament, but its tradition of stunningly low scores is still going strong. Wilson pulled even with Ben Crane and David Toms at 16-under 128 to share a three-stroke lead after the second round of the Humana Challenge on Friday, topping a leaderboard covered with bogey-free rounds and personal bests. Extremely low numbers always dominate the erstwhile Bob Hope Classic, which features two of the PGA Tours three easiest courses. Add a second day of ideal Palm Springs weather, and exceptional play is necessary just to stay in contention. For example, Ryan Moore tied the Nicklaus course record with a 61, yet he was still five strokes back of the lead -- and he wasnt even among 23 players who played bogey-free rounds Friday. "Everything has been much improved, and we got a much better field because of it," said Crane, who had just 48 putts in his first two rounds. "This is a great place for players to start their year, because its like playing indoors." To illustrate his point, Crane mimed his caddie picking grass blades and dropping them from shoulder height. "Im like, Wheres the wind?" Crane said. "Hes like, I dont know. Im like, OK, lets just hit a normal shot here." Crane shot a 63 on the three-course tournaments Palmer Private course, and Toms had a 65 on the Nicklaus Private course to match Wilson at 16-under 128. Rookie Harris English had a 62 on the Nicklaus Private course to join five players in fourth place at 13 under. "Thats what youve got to do out here," said English, the University of Georgia graduate playing his sixth round on the PGA Tour. "Put it in the fairway and then try to go out and get after it. I was getting my putter hot, and it was a lot of fun." Calgarys Stephen Ames trails by five strokes after shooting a 67, while David Hearn of Brantford, Ont., (69) is nine back. Moore tied Charlie Wis 2009 record on the Nicklaus course despite starting with consecutive bogeys on his second and third holes before an eagle on the fourth. He then birdied 11 of 12 holes, including six straight around the turn. "Really the last thing I remember was being 2 over through three, and then I just walked off the 18th hole," said Moore, who rose 103 spots on the leaderboard. "Maybe that just freed me up. I just let go. ... I dont know if I ever putted that good in my entire life." Wilson earned a reputation as a fast starter when he won in Hawaii and Phoenix during the first five weeks of last season. He also gets a boost from his off-season connection to the Coachella Valley, including a membership at the Ironwood Country Club near his in-laws home in Palm Desert. "Its always been very good to me, and then Q-school has been good to me in the desert," Wilson said. "I get a lot of good vibes here." Toms shot a fairly pedestrian 65 on the Nicklaus course with a second straight day of steady play -- but not everybody chewed up the three courses. Toms playing partner, Phil Mickelson, shot a 69, but remained well back of the leaders after opening with a 74. "Im excited about how I was playing heading into this tournament, but I had a big of a slap in the face with my first two scores," said Mickelson, who tried out a new driver Friday. Mickelson is the tournaments career money leader despite not playing in Palm Springs since 2007. He has made seven straight cuts, but sits in 124th place heading to the third round. Dustin Johnson, the world No. 8 and the tournaments top-ranked player, withdrew after nine holes Friday. The two-time Pebble Beach champion with exceptional power off the tee underwent arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in November and hadnt walked 18 holes until Thursday, when he started with an even-par 72. Scott Stallings also withdrew before the round with an injured chest muscle. Cranes in-laws also live in the Valley, and he was grateful to play well in front of them after a rocky off-season in which he contemplated getting surgery on a labrum injury before learning he didnt need it. Instead, he spent the off-season working on his putting, which has been exceptional at the Humana. Crane also started with a bogey before an eagle-birdie run kick-started his round. The plunging scores might level off on the weekend, with wind and clouds in the forecast for Saturday when President Bill Clinton plays a round with Greg Norman. Crane and his wife spoke with Clinton on Thursday, discussing their work with a foundation that battles sex trafficking. "Its really given this tournament a spark to have him around," Crane said. "Its been great for everybody in this tournament. Its just grown so much in a year. The buzz is unbelievable, and its really fun to be a part of it." Philip Rivers Jerseys .C. -- Even when they trailed 2-0 early in the third period the LHFDQ Nord were still having fun. Philip Rivers Elite Jersey . - Radim Vrbata broke out of a scoring slump in a big way, then Daymond Langkow provided the dramatic finish. http://www.philipriversjerseys.us/ . San Antonio will try to regroup Thursday, when the Southwest Division-rival Dallas Mavericks pay a visit to the AT&T Center. Catch all the action live on TSN2 and TSN Mobile TV at 8pm et/5pm pt. Philip Rivers Pink Jersey . Nova, the losing pitcher Tuesday night against the Chicago White Sox, said he felt something in his shoulder while making a sixth-inning pitch to Alexei Ramirez, the final batter he faced in the Yankees 7-3 defeat. philipriversjerseys . On paper this looks like the biggest mismatch in the first round of the postseason. After back-to-back seasons of 41 wins and first round playoff exits, the Bulls dominated the East after replacing Vinny Del Negro with new head coach Tom Thibodeau.PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- Former Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling -- whose video game company underwent a spectacular collapse into bankruptcy last year -- is selling the blood-stained sock he wore during the 2004 World Series. Chris Ivy, director of sports for Texas-based Heritage Auctions, says online bidding begins around Feb. 4. Live bidding will take place Feb. 23. The sock previously had been on loan to the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum. It has been at Heritages Dallas headquarters for several weeks and will be displayed at the auction houses Manhattan office before it is sold, according to Ivy. He said the sock is expected to fetch at least $100,000, though he described that as a conservative estimate. "I do expect the bidding to be very spirited," Ivy said. Schillings company, 38 Studios, was lured to Providence, R.I., from Massachusetts with a $75 million loan guarantee in 2010. In May, it laid off all its employees and it filed for bankruptcy in June. The state is now likely responsible for some $100 million related to the deal, including interest. Schilling also had personally guaranteed loans to the company and listed the sock as bank collateral in a September filing with the Massachusetts secretary of states office. Messages left for his publicist were not immediately returned. The bloody sock is one of two that sent Schilling into the annals of baseball lore in 2004. The other was from Game 6 of the American League Championship Seriees, when Schilling pitched against the New York Yankees with an injured ankle.dddddddddddd That sock is said to have been discarded in the trash at Yankees Stadium. The one being sold is from the second game of the World Series, which the Red Sox won that year for the first time in 86 years. Schilling has said he invested as much as $50 million in 38 Studios and has lost all his baseball earnings. He told WEEI-AM in Boston last year that possibly having to sell the sock was part of "having to pay for your mistakes." "Im obligated to try and make amends and, unfortunately, this is one of the byproducts of that," he told the station. Brad Horn, a spokesman for the hall of fame in Cooperstown, N.Y., said the loaned sock was returned in December under the terms of the halls agreement with Schilling. The hall had had it since 2004. The Feb. 23 live bidding will be held at the Fletcher-Sinclair mansion in New York City, now home to the Ukrainian Institute of America. The auction will feature other "five- and six-figure items," including a jersey and cap worn by New York Yankees great Lou Gehrig, Ivy said. Heritage last May auctioned off the so-called "Bill Buckner ball," which rolled through the legs of the Red Sox first baseman in the 1986 World Series. Ivy said that item, like Schillings sock, was listed at the time as being expected to bring in "$100,000-plus," but it was sold to an anonymous bidder for $418,000. ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements