StageAgent.com Home |

Rare is the player to have yet to play an NHL game, yet stil

Announcements from StageAgent.com

Rare is the player to have yet to play an NHL game, yet stil

Postby kaisy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:09 am

Rare is the player to have yet to play an NHL game, yet still cause such a feeding frenzy as an unrestricted free agent. Defenceman Justin Schultz is one of those players and he picked his new club Saturday. Numbers Game looks at Edmontons big acquisition on the free agent market. The Oilers Get: D Justin Schultz. A second-round pick of the Anaheim Ducks in 2008, Justin Schultz used his leverage, as a highly-desired commodity coming out of college, to spark a bidding war for his services. Schultz, 22, reportedly had 26 teams express interest and its not hard to understand why. He was the top-scoring defenceman in the nation in each of the last two seasons, tallying 34 goals and 91 points in 78 games for the University of Wisconsin. By way of comparison, the second-highest scoring collegiate blueliner over the last two seasons is Danny Biega, a Carolina Hurricanes third-round pick in 2010 who had 65 points in 68 games over the last two seasons while playing at Harvard. In Edmonton, Schultz joins what is obviously a promising young team, but one that sorely needed an upgrade on defence, which means Schultz should step into a regular role with significant power play time immediately. Veteran Ryan Whitney is a proven power play quarterback, but health issues have dogged him in recent years, so Schultz could be a big part of what is already a successful power play (ranked third in the league last season at 20.6%). A right-handed shot, Schultz could have an opportunity to man the point on the Oilers top power play unit and that kind of role right off the bat could give him a shot at 40 points (or more) as a rookie next season. Since 2000-2001, there have been five defencemen to tally at least 40 points as a rookie (Marek Zidlicky, Dion Phaneuf, Tyler Myers, Kevin Shattenkirk and Cam Fowler). Joining a team with as many skilled forwards (including Taylor Hall, Jordan Eberle, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nail Yakupov and Sam Gagner) as they have in Edmonton does put Schultz in a favourable long-term position to put up points; assuming, of course, that the Oilers can keep this core together for years to come. Schultz is signed for the next two seasons and, considering the demand for his services, its expected that the deal comes with a cap hit of $3.775-million per year, which is comprised of $925,000 base salary and $2.85-million in potential bonuses. Hell be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2014. While there are no guarantees that Schultz will be an impact player in the NHL, he has that upside, so landing him as a free agent is a huge win for the Oilers, who have not been winning a lot of bidding wars for most-desirable unrestricted free agents in recent years. Any team that could add a potential top-four defenceman without losing anything off their current roster would take the deal, but Edmontons specific needs on the blueline make this a tremendous fit. Now its up to Schultz to prove that hes capable of producing as a pro. Scott Cullen can be reached at mailto:Scott.Cullen@bellmedia.ca and followed on Twitter at http://twitter.com/tsnscottcullen. For more, check out TSN Fantasy on Facebook. Dr Dre Beats UK . The 20-year-old from Toronto has gone well beyond just hanging around. Osorio earned a starting assignment in the MLS clubs first pre-season game against Columbus in Orlando in February, has seen action in 10 of TFCs first 11 league games, scored twice and been singled out for praise by manager Ryan Nelsen, who has used him as an impact substitute. Dr Dre Beats sale uk . The draft in Indianapolis had a distinctive Canadian flavour with five Canucks going in the first 28 picks. It was an eventful and profitable day for Toronto FC, which is rebuilding under new president and GM Kevin Payne after a dismal 5-21-8 season. http://www.drdrebeatsheadphonesuksale.co.uk/ . Less than 48 hours after stepping on the ice for the first time at camp, players will be released Tuesday morning in the opening round of cuts. Dr Dre Beats cheap . Messi started on the Camp Nou bench with several other first-choice players, saved for the decisive Champions League last-16 match against AC Milan, but went on in the second half and scored two minutes from time with a delicate chip shot to double Barcelonas lead after Alexis Sanchez opened in the 38th. Dr Dre Beats Headphones . The Trail Blazers started their six-game road trip by remedying a sloppy performance with a large dose of their All-Star big man. CHENNAI, India -- Roberto Bautista-Agut of Spain upset top-seeded Tomas Berdych 7-5, 2-6, 6-3 Friday in the quarterfinals of the Chennai Open, and two other favourites were also eliminated. Third-seeded Marin Cilic of Croatia lost 6-4, 1-6, 7-5 to Benoit Paire of France while fourth-seeded Stanislas Wawrinka of Switzerland was beaten 6-2, 7-6 (6) to unseeded Slovakian player Aljaz Bedene. Second-seeded Janko Tipsarevic was the only member of the top four to reach the semifinals as he beat No. 8 Go Soeda of Japan 6-2, 6-4. On Saturday, Bautista-Agut will play Paire while Tipsarevic will take on Bedene. In beating the sixth-ranked Berdych, No. 80 Bautista-Agut earned his first win against a top-10 player. He said he "was happy to have beaten a player like Berdych" and that all his "hard work had paid off." Berdych was disappointed with his own performance but praised his opponent. "This was not one of my best performances and he played very well. ... These days it is not just the top four, but the other pplayers as well against whom you need to play your best game," Berdych said.dddddddddddd "I know ahead of the Australian Open I have played only two matches and will have to adjust to the time difference there, but I will play my best." Earlier, Paire caused his own upset by defeating two-time champion Cilic. The players traded breaks early in the first set before Paire broke the Croat again for a 4-3 lead and wrapped up the first set in 40 minutes. Cilic used his strong forehand to dominate the second, but Paire broke in the 12th game of the third to seal the win. "I was playing him for the first time," Cilic said. "I had to change my game but he came back strongly in the last eight or nine games." Tipsarevic reached his third straight semifinal in Chennai with his win over Soeda. "It was tougher than the scoreline suggests," Tipsarevic said. "But I have been playing well of late and told myself if I focus on my game and hold my service, it would be easier." ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements