StageAgent.com Home |

n in his last major league outing, but strug

Announcements from StageAgent.com

n in his last major league outing, but strug

Postby kaisy on Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:11 am

CLEVELAND -- Drug agents are investigating a suspected marijuana shipment mailed to the suburban home of Cleveland Indians closer Chris Perez, authorities said Wednesday. Rocky River Police Chief Kelly Stillman said city officers, a regional narcotics unit and postal inspectors were involved in Tuesdays daylong operation investigating a delivery to Perezs home in the lakeside Cleveland suburb. No charges have been filed and the matter remains under investigation. A message seeking comment was left for Perezs attorney. At a news conference Wednesday, the chief said the operation likely originated with a package that appeared suspicious to postal employees. "They took it from there," he said. In a brief written update Wednesday afternoon, the chief confirmed the shipment was suspected to be marijuana, but said that the state crime laboratory will have to confirm that. "Depending on what it was and how much it was, charges will be filed accordingly," Stillman said. Officers with a search warrant took evidence from the Perez house, according to the chief, but the seized items werent specified. Indians general manager Chris Antonetti said in a statement that the team had talked with Perez and was "gathering additional information." Manager Terry Francona, addressing the situation before the Indians Wednesday afternoon game against the Yankees in New York, said he had reached out to Perez to check on him. "I spoke to him this morning, called him, just wanted to make sure he was OK," he said. "Out of respect to everybody involved, thats really all I can say." The Indians often-polarizing closer has six saves this season, but is on the disabled list with an injured right shoulder. He and Cleveland fans have gotten on each others nerves over the last couple years, and he recently deactivated his Twitter account after hearing it from fans following a couple of bad outings. In previous seasons, Perez has criticized fans for not coming to games, and ownership for not spending money on free agents. The right-hander was supposed to start throwing again this week. Francona said he wasnt sure if the investigation would affect Perez injury rehabilitation. "I dont know. I honestly dont know," he said. "Lets not only go one day at a time, lets go one hour at a time here." Geno Smith Jersey . -- Canadian Aleksandra Wozniak lost one of the longest matches of her career on Wednesday, going down in a first-round defeat against American Sloane Stephens 4-6, 7-5, 7-6 (7) at the BNP Paribas Open. Geno Smith Womens Jersey . "Wow," he said, his face still flush with March emotion. "I dont know where to begin." How about with that finish? Theres never been one like it in the NCAA tournament. http://www.genosmithjerseys.us/ . The second-seeded French Open champion Sharapova, who captured this Aussie event back in 2008 and lost to Victoria Azarenka in last years final, didnt drop a game in dismantling fellow Russian Olga Puchkova 6-0, 6-0 at Rod Laver Arena in a match that took a mere 55 minutes to complete. genosmithjerseys . So, too, are the chances of the team finishing in last place in the league. And that to coach Ralph Krueger is a step in the right direction. CLEVELAND -- Indians closer Chris Perez wants to focus on returning from his injured right shoulder and not his recent legal issues. Perez, speaking to reporters for the first time since being charged with misdemeanour drug possession after marijuana was mailed to his home earlier this month, took no questions about the incident prior to Saturdays game against Washington. Perez and his wife, Melaine, pleaded not guilty to the charges. The two-time All-Star is on the disabled list with tendinitis in his right shoulder. He will begin a minor league rehab assignment Sunday and could rejoin the Indians next week. Asked about his frame of mind, Perez said, "I want to get back to the team. I want to do my job well. I dont want to come back from the rehab and not to come back just to come back. I want to come back and be able to be me and help our team accomplish our goals." Indians manager Terry Francona is supporting Perez. "Ive talked to him at length and am very comfortable hell be just fine and hes in a good place," Francona said. Perez, who hasnt appeared in a game since blowing a save against Boston on May 26, has thrown two bullpen sessions and is scheduled to pitch one inning for Class A Lake County on Sunday. He isnt sure if he will make more than one rehab appearance. "Well seee how it goes," Perez said.dddddddddddd "If I threw like I did (Friday), Ill probably need another appearance. I wasnt very sharp. I felt like my first appearance in spring training." Perez inherited a three-run lead against Boston in his last major league outing, but struggled and couldnt finish the ninth inning. He was pulled after throwing a warmup pitch to the backstop. The Indians dropped a 6-5 decision and Perez was placed on the 15-day disabled list the following day. "I told them I could pitch that day," Perez said. "I warmed up. It wasnt happening. I tried to pitch through it." Perez is 2-1 with six saves and a 4.32 ERA in 17 appearances. An arraignment has been set in suburban Rocky River Municipal Court for June 19. Police said they were tipped off by postal inspectors to suspicious packages mailed to the Perez home and arranged a delivery under surveillance on June 4. Authorities say Melanie Perez whose maiden name is Baum, told the undercover officer delivering the packages that they were intended for her dog, named Brody. The package was addressed to Brody Baum. Under the drug agreement between Major League Baseball and its players association, marijuana offences generally result with the player undergoing a treatment program rather than discipline. ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements