StageAgent.com Home |

estigation does not concern the activities of M

Announcements from StageAgent.com

estigation does not concern the activities of M

Postby kaisy on Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:24 am

OTTAWA -- The Lakehead Thunderwolves have advanced to the McGee Cup final round with a 66-62 win over the Ottawa Gee Gees on Saturday in CIS Mens Basketball semifinal action. Joseph Jones had 24 points and six rebounds off the bench to lead the Thunderwolves, who will take on Carleton in the final. The Ravens defeated the Acadia Axemen 84-69 in the other semifinal. "My teammates look for me to step up," said Jones. "They told me I had to step up and thats what I did. I wasnt going to let them down. "Im the energy man. Everybody knows ... Im coming off the bench and Im going to give it all I got. Im the sixth man, thats what Ive been all my career. Im the energy guy and thats what I do." As seventh seed, Lakehead has won two more games than most people would have expected, but coach Scott Morrison thinks they might just have a little magic left. "A lot of people put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get us to this point, and here we are," said Morrison. "I know the last time that Lakehead was in this game, not one person in that dressing room was even alive, including me. "Its been a drought for us. Win or lose, its going to be a great opportunity and a great achievement for our program. Well try to suck it up for sixteen more hours here." Warren Ward paced Ottawa with 21 points and 10 rebounds. Both teams came out a bit tentatively, and it took 1:42 before the Thunderwolves opened the scoring. Lakehead took the early lead but by the end of the first quarter the score was knotted at 16-16. The Gee Gees scored most of their points inside the paint as they appeared unable, or unwilling to take the three point shot. It might have been a good strategy, as they only hit 1-of-8 in the first half. They finished the game making only 2-of-19. According to head coach James Derouin, that was the story of the game. "Obviously credit to the Lakehead defence, knowing that the three-point shot is such a major thing for our offence and our team throughout the season," said Derouin. "I thought we were going to be able to scrap through it, even without making shots and for a while it looked like we were going to be able to do it "I mean we can win with five or six, but were going to have a tough time winning with making only two of nineteen threes." At the half Ottawa led by 32-30, with Ward (eight points, seven rebounds) and Caleb Agada (10 points and six rebounds) carrying the play for the Gee Gees. The Thunderwolves, spreading the ball around didnt have a player in double digits, Jones being the closest with eight. In the third quarter the Gee Gees, and specifically Ward decided to turn things up a bit and by the end of the quarter had managed to increase their lead to 49-44. With their season on the line, Lakehead pulled in front 58-53. They had a run of eleven unanswered points, nine of them from Jones. The Gee Gees pulled to within two, with eight seconds remaining, but they would get no closer, as Jones, shooting two from the free throw line buried both to put the Thunderwolves in front to stay. In the other semi, brothers Thomas Scrubb and Phillip Scrubb combined for 46 points as Carleton advanced to the final. Phillip Scrubb had 26 points while Thomas finished with 20 points and five rebounds. Phillip Scrubb gave a lot of credit to his brother, who was selected as the Ravens player of the game. "Hes probably our best player the past month," said Phillip Scrubb, " He guards the other teams best player and hes probably been our best offensive player too. Hes really stepped up and hes a big reason why were here today." Sean Stoqua with 20 points was the leading scorer for Acadia. Carleton never trailed in the opening frame, but at the end of the first 10 minutes only led by two, 14-12. The teams picked up the pace in the second quarter, but when they headed to the dressing room at the half, the lead had changed four times, and it was Carleton in front 31-29. In the third quarter the Ravens offence, and particularly CIS player of the year Phillip Scrubb took over. Phillip Scrubb racked up fourteen points in the third quarter alone to help the Ravens to a 51-41 lead with only a quarter to play. In the final quarter the Ravens added to their lead despite the precision shooting of Stoqua. The Axemen had no answer for the aerial attack of the Scrubb brothers Thomas and Phillip. Carleton coach Dave Smart says he knows the Ravens are in for a battle with Lakehead. "They are the toughest team in the country," said Smart. "Mentally, physically, what theyve done the last three games is incredible. My guys and I have the utmost respect and concern over having to play that team. They beat what I think was the best team in the tournament in the semis, so tomorrow is a little scary for us." Elite Ray Nitschke Jersey . -- Defensive back Brandian Ross, offensive lineman Alex Parsons and running back Jeremy Stewart all have signed their exclusive rights tenders with the Oakland Raiders. Throwback Packers Jersey . When Atlanta tried to get tough, the Pacers buckled down and got even tougher. http://www.packerssportsfanshop.com/ . "Im halfway through my no-throwing, now," said Morrow of his six-week shutdown period. "Then Ill rehab it, start strengthening it and then start throwing. Brett Favre Packers Jersey . After criticizing Clevelands fans for failing to support the first-place Indians, Perez wasnt sure what to expect when he came in for the ninth inning with another game on the line. Youth Ray Nitschke Jersey . The fate of Frank McCourts ownership is hanging in the balance after the popular franchise filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in a Delaware court on Monday, but the show must go on and the Dodgers will continue a three-game series in the Twin Cities this evening. GENEVA -- Lance Armstrongs former manager Johan Bruyneel left the RadioShack-Nissan team Friday after he was singled out as a central figure in the former Tour de France champions doping program. The RadioShack-Nissan team said the decision was taken by "mutual agreement," adding that Bruyneel "can no longer direct the team in an efficient and comfortable way." "His departure is desirable to ensure the serenity and cohesiveness within the team," it said in a statement. Bruyneel said he was leaving "to concentrate on my defence," having opted for an arbitration hearing to fight charges levelled by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency. Armstrong was banned from Olympic sports for life by USADA and stripped of his seven Tour titles after choosing in August not to contest the allegations, including that he used and supplied banned drugs. Fridays announcement came two days after USADAs damning report on Armstrong exposed the doping program in the U.S. Postal Service and Discovery Channel teams that Bruyneel managed when Armstrong rode to seven straight Tour de France victories from 1999-2005. "In light of these testimonies, both parties feel it is necessary to make this decision," RadioShack said. Its sponsors include longtime Armstrong backers Nike, Trek, Oakley and Livestrong. Bruyneel, who was general manager of the Luxembourg-based team, now has his own legal battle with USADA which placed him at the heart of doping programs for Armstrongs teams through the riders second retirement in 2010. "I am surprised and extremely disappointed that USADA released information in the public domain relating to their pending case against me before I had been given any opportunity to review the evidence and provide my defence against it," Bruyneel said. "I still hope to be able to defend myself in a forum free from bias, although I now fear that USADAs calculated action may have irreversibly prejudiced my case," he said in a statement published on his personal website. Armstrong and Bruyneel were an unbreakable partnership for years, with Armstrong widely crediting the Belgian for helping him achieve his Tour successes oon a U.dddddddddddd.S. Postal Service team that dominated cyclings showcase race. Armstrong rode his final Tour in 2010 under Bruyneels leadership, with the new RadioShack team that Armstrong co-owned. Bruyneel also helped Spaniard Alberto Contador win the 2007 Tour for the Discovery team and worked with both Armstrong and Contador on the 2009 Tour, which Contador also won. USADAs dossier pinpointed Bruyneel as the focal point of massive doping throughout the USPS teams heyday. "The overwhelming evidence in this case is that Johan Bruyneel was intimately involved in all significant details of the U.S. Postal teams doping program," USADA said in its 200-page report. "He was on top of the details for organizing blood transfusion programs before the major Tours, and he knew when athletes needed to take EPO to regenerate their blood supply after extracting blood." The report added that "Bruyneel learned how to introduce young men to performance enhancing drugs, becoming adept at leading them down the path from newly minted professional rider to veteran drug user." Former Armstrong teammates also said Bruyneel appeared to have advance knowledge of when drug-testing teams would arrive to take samples. RadioShack thanked Bruyneel for "his dedication and devotion" to the team, but was quick to further distance itself from him. "The USADA investigation does not concern the activities of Mr. Bruyneel while managing," the team, the statement said. At this years Tour, RadioShack-Nissan team leader Frank Schleck tested positive for a banned diuretic. The Luxembourg rider was pulled from the Tour after the International Cycling Union said he had tested positive for the banned diuretic Xipamide. Schleck has a disciplinary hearing scheduled with the Luxembourg cycling federation on Monday. Tensions within the RadioShack-Nissan team were detailed in comments by star rider Fabian Cancellara reported Friday by Belgian daily Het Laaste Nieuws. "Ive heard that in 200 pages, Bruyneels name appears 129 times," the Swiss rider said. "I want to know what happened. I dont know if I can work with Johan." ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements