StageAgent.com Home |

e said. "I think their pitchers did a good job of k

Announcements from StageAgent.com

e said. "I think their pitchers did a good job of k

Postby kaisy on Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:51 am

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The new starting quarterback of the Kansas City Chiefs is a former first-round draft pick on a one-year deal whose career thus far has been a disappointment. His backup is a team captain whose long-term contract made him the face of the franchise. Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel announced Monday that Brady Quinn will be under centre when the Chiefs play Oakland on Sunday, and Matt Cassel will serve as the backup for the foreseeable future after struggling mightily through the first five games of the season. "I felt like the most impactful move I could make to get everybodys attention was to change the quarterback," Crennel said. "I think that will get everybodys attention, and hopefully that impacts the team because the quarterback position is the one that has the spotlight on him." Crennel said he informed both quarterbacks he was making a change Monday morning. The rest of the team learned of the move shortly before practice. "Look, Im excited about the opportunity," Quinn said. "Theres always pressure, but pressure is what you make of it. As a quarterback in this league, youre used to it." The acquisition of Cassel in a trade with New England was the first major move that Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli made after taking the job in Kansas City. His second was to sign Cassel to a $63 million, six-year deal that still has two years remaining. Quinn is playing on a one-year deal worth $1.5 million. "Am I going to say Im happy about the situation? Absolutely not. Im frustrated," Cassel said after practice. "But at the same time, Im a team captain on this team. I care about this team and again, as we move forward, Im a big boy. Im not going to hang my head. Im going to do what Ive always done, which is work hard -- work tremendously hard." Quinn started for the first time since 2009 in a loss at Tampa Bay two weeks ago, when Cassel was still feeling the effects of a concussion sustained the previous week against Baltimore. Crennel said at the time he wasnt planning to make a permanent move, but he reconsidered after spending the bye week evaluating both quarterbacks, and coming to the realization that Kansas City desperately needed a spark following a 1-5 start. "Im not saying Matt Cassel is the reason we are where we are," Crennel said. "We need to coach better and we need to play better, and if we do those things, we can be better, but my biggest deal was my gut was telling me we need to impact that team by changing that dynamic." Cassel, who missed the end of last season with a hand injury, hasnt been nearly as good as he was two years ago, when he led the Chiefs to the AFC West title and was voted to the Pro Bowl. He was completing just 58.5 per cent of his passes for 230 yards per game, and had thrown nine interceptions against five touchdown passes. Hed also lost five fumbles, and his 14 turnovers in total are more than all but five teams in the league. "I cant tell you I saw this coming," Cassel said, "but at the same time, when youre 1-5 and your team is struggling and your coach wants to find some way to spark the team, he felt like this was the best way to do it, so he made the decision." Quinn was just 22 of 38 for 180 yards with two interceptions in a 38-10 loss to Tampa Bay. But the former first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns also seemed to show more poise and arm strength, and the two interceptions were passes that could just as easily have been caught by his own guys. "Maybe there was a little rust because I hadnt been in a full-game scenario in the regular season in a few years," Quinn said, "but I felt pretty good out there." Crennel said he doesnt want Quinn to be looking over his shoulder, so "there will be no quick hook or anything like that." After playing the Raiders on Sunday at Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City hits the road for games against San Diego and Pittsburgh. "I dont think the team has lost confidence in Matt," Crennel said. "Its just one of those things where the circumstances were in, you have to decide what you want to do to change it, and I decided to change the quarterback." Crennel also said he wasnt considering long-term ramifications when making his decision, such as whether the franchise will trade for a quarterback or select one early in the draft. His focus in making the change was simply to give the team an immediate, much-needed boost. "The only future I thought about was this coming Sunday," he said. Tony Gonzalez Jersey For Sale . He was on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation for three weeks. Sheets lost his third straight start Aug. 23 at San Francisco, dropping to 4-4 with a 3. falcons T-shirts . Schmidt earned her first medal of the competition clocking two minutes 14.30 seconds. Siwicki notched her third silver this week finishing in 2:16.97. Australias Rebecca Dungan was third in 2:19.00. Daniel Kuiack of Barrie, Ont. http://www.falconssportsfanstore.com/Fa ... Xj-37.html . He was on the disabled list with right shoulder inflammation for three weeks. Sheets lost his third straight start Aug. 23 at San Francisco, dropping to 4-4 with a 3. Justin Blalock Jersey . Louis Blues in Game 3 at Staples Center. The Kings won the franchises first Stanley Cup last spring, but find themselves down 2-0 in this best-of-seven series after dropping two straight in St. Julio Jones Jersey For Sale .8 million contract extension. Budaj played eight games with the Canadiens this season, recording a 6-1-1 record with a 2.TORONTO -- The Toronto Blue Jays starters seemed to have found their way. Now it is a matter of getting the bats going. Josh Johnson held the Chicago White Sox to four hits and two runs in seven innings on Tuesday but it was not good enough. Chicago scored twice in the ninth inning to snap a 2-2 tie and then held off the Blue Jays for a 4-3 victory before a crowd of 16,131 at Rogers Centre. Johnson came off the shortest start of his career, 1 1/3 innings in an 11-1 loss to the Detroit Tigers on April 11, at Comerica Park to become the first Blue Jays starter to go a full seven innings this season. "I was more aggressive overall," Johnson said. "My fastball, curveball, slider everything was going not just to the catcher but through the catcher and through the zone. That was the main focus for the start and it worked out." Toronto manager John Gibbons was also pleased with Johnsons performance. "I thought he was terrific," said Gibbons. "I thought maybe early he was overthrowing a little bit but he settled in and did a great job. He kept us in the game. Were still waiting for the offence to break out." Dayan Viciedo hit a run-scoring double in the ninth inning and Hector Gimenez followed with a sacrifice fly to put the White Sox into a 4-2 lead. The Blue Jays came back with one run in the bottom of the ninth on a sacrifice fly by third baseman Brett Lawrie of Langley, B.C., who made his first start of the season after opening the season on the disabled list with a strained left oblique. Paul Konerko homered for the White Sox (6-8). Colby Rasmus and J.P. Arencibia hit home runs for the Blue Jays (6-8). Toronto reliever Steve Delabar (1-1) walked Adam Dunn to open the ninth, with Dewayne Wise coming in as a pinch runner. Konerko then walked. Delabar struck out Conor Gillaspie, but Viciedo lined a double to centre that just eluded Emilio Bonifacio to score a run and put Chicago into a 3-2 lead. Bonifacio had moved to centre field from right field after Rajai Davis pinch-hit for Rasmus in the seventh when the White Sox sent out left-hander Hector Santiago. Gimenez hit a sacrifice fly against left-hander Darren Oliver to put Chicago up by two runs. Matt Lindstrom (1-0) pitched a third of an inning to pick up the win. Addison Reed earned his fifth save of the season despite allowing the run in the ninth. Edwin Encarnacion and Adam Lind singled to put runners at the corners in the bottom of the ninth and Lawrie hit a sacrifice fly. "Its a gritty win, thats one of those that couldve gone either way," Konerko said. "Obviously were not clicking on all cylinders right now. Were not even close really." White Sox starter Dylan Axelrod allowed seven hits and two runs, both on homers, in six innings. Lawrie was injured in March playing for Canada in an exhibition game aagainst the Cincinnati Reds in the lead up to the World Baseball Classic.dddddddddddd He completed his rehabilitation assignment with single-A Dunedin on Monday. He was 0-for-3 with a sacrifice fly and made a couple of good defensive plays at third base. "He made some great plays over there at third base," Gibbons said. "Tremendous range, good arm, yeah, it was good to see him out there." The teams each scored once in the second. In the top half, a single by Konerko and a walk to Gillaspie with one out and a two-out single by Alexei Ramirez loaded the bases. Konerko scored on a wild pitch on a curveball in the dirt to Gimenez. Rasmus fourth homer of the season on a 1-2 fastball with two out in the bottom half of the inning tied the game. Arencibia hit his fifth homer of the season with two out in the sixth on a 1-2 fastball to put the Blue Jays into a 2-1 lead. Konerko tied the game when he led off the seventh with his third homer of the season, a drive to left on a 3-0 fastball. "It was a good win because weve played a lot of games that looked like that in this ballpark and they also seem to be losses," said Konerko. He was impressed with Johnson. "His stuff was really good tonight," said Konerko. "I got lucky to get a couple of fastballs that didnt have a lot of movement. He was throwing 93 to 95 miles per hour with two different breaking balls that were really good. Exceptional. " "His stuff was well above average tonight. To get a win against a guy like that when hes got his stuff hes obviously got a history of being real good. We feel like we got away with one." But Arencibia gave credit to the White Sox. "You cant really say that it we let one get away," he said. "I think their pitchers did a good job of keeping us off the bases today and making pitches when they needed to make pitches. It was a tight game. You have to tip the hat to the hitter who hit a slider that was out in front and was able to get it over Bonnies head." NOTES: Right-fielder Jose Bautista missed his second game in a row with a sore back and ear infection but manager John Gibbons hoped that he would be available on Wednesday. a Right-handed pitcher Jeremy Jeffress cleared waivers and has been assigned outright to the minor leagues and after attending extended spring training in Florida likely will be assigned to triple-A Buffalo. a Left-hander Ricky Romero is progressing but is not ready for game action as he works on his mechanics. He has pitched one simulated game. a Chicago second baseman Gordon Beckham underwent successful surgery Tuesday at the Cleveland Clinic to repair the hook of the hamate fracture of his left hand suffered at Washington on April 9. a Left-hander J.A. Happ (2-0, 3.48 earned-run average) will start Wednesday for the Blue Jays against White Sox left-hander Jose Quintana (0-0, 4.09 ERA). ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements