StageAgent.com Home |

Gabriella

Need help with a big audition? Deciding whether or not to get an agent? Post your advice questions here.

Gabriella

Postby ERA on Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:18 pm

Hi, I'm auditioning for High School Musical very soon, and I'm attempting to pick a song to audition with. We're allowed to use songs from the show, but I'd rather not because then they may only consider me for the part who's song I sang. I can sing soprano, mezzo, alto, and belt, however my belt tends to hurt so if that can be avoided that would be lovely. A soprano song would be really great. I'm looking to audition for Gabriella and Sharpay, but I'd prefer to get Gabriella. I tend to get parts like Sharpay though (I've even played Rizzo in Grease) so I'm really trying to break that type-cast and get Gabriella. Right now I'm thinking along the lines of one of Cinderella's songs from Into the Woods, or something from A Chorus Line (What I Did For Love) maybe. I use those songs for auditions a lot though, and I'm trying to break the rut. Any help would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
ERA

Re: Gabriella

Postby starflower on Mon Dec 31, 2007 10:16 am

If you don't mind doing something kind of slow, look at the songs in Jekell and Hyde; Lucy especially has some great ones, but those are alto. There is a soprano girl in the show too, but I haven't heard her songs. I don't think there are many songs that the characters of Sharpay and Gaberiella would both sing, so if you would rather get Gaberiella, sing something that fits her character- more slow and sweet. Hope that helps.
starflower

Re: Gabriella

Postby Annie on Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:41 am

I would avoid using songs from Into the Woods because that is a legit show. As far as Jekyll & Hyde goes, I don't really think that the songs fit high school age characters. I've only seen HSM once, and it was the stage show, which I am under the impression is almost the same as the movie, so I may not be the best judge of what's right and wrong. I played the "other" girl in J&H, Emma. Most of Emma's songs are duets and her solo wouldn't fit HSM, and I don't think that any of the lyrics really fit Gabriella anyway. Even though Lucy is a prostitute you might be able to get away with "Someone Like You" (a beautiful ballad). It is in a book for young women/teens with alternate lyrics. If you pick it and it's the show version, I think you should start with the second verse and sing it through to the end.

As long as you choose something with a pop sound and stay away from legit songs you should be fine. Just think about how the lyrics or character parallels the one that you are going for.
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Return to Advice