StageAgent.com Home |

I need help finding two monologues for an audition

Need help with a big audition? Deciding whether or not to get an agent? Post your advice questions here.

I need help finding two monologues for an audition

Postby ZeldaofHyrule on Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:16 pm

I'm auditioning for Millikin University and I need two monologues. The guidelines are
-Two memorized monologues, each 30 seconds to one minute in length.
-should be from published plays, contrasting in period and/or style, with a character close to your own age, and performed without a regional dialect. ( * Shakespeare is acceptable for one of the acting monologues; however, no Puck monologues from A Midsummer Night’s Dream will be permitted.)

This is what they say are qualities of a good monologue which I plan to follow
-Choose a monologue from a full length published play. Read the whole play so that you know the context of the monologue and the character's situation. Besides picking one in your age range without a regional dialect, pick one where you character is fighting to get something from a a specific person, i.e. no dreams, no talking to the audience, no telephone calls, no soliloquy or self-reflective types of monologues. Do not choose monologues that are cited as "original" or written by "anonymous". As with the song, a monologue of 30 seconds is plenty for the auditioners to evaluate your acting potential.
-Read plays. Avoid the monologues published in the many audition monologue books on on-line databases because those monologues are overdone. You might use those books or websites as references to find interesting characters perhaps, but always find and read the full play and then choose a monologue that is not in the published monologue book or on the website. Especially, do not choose monologues that are solo interp pieces that are not part of a complete play. These types of monologues may be appropriate for Speech Team competitions, but they are inappropriate for audition monologues.

Also I'd prefer if they weren't over done.
Any suggestions?
ZeldaofHyrule

Re: I need help finding two monologues for an audition

Postby jessijane456 on Sun May 09, 2010 7:36 am

Maybe you could use, "To Speak Ill of Him" from Romeo and Juliet. And/or you could use, "Leave me alone Mr. Cornel" from The Star Spangled Girl.
jessijane456

Return to Advice