StageAgent.com Home |

Soprano Villains

Need help with a big audition? Deciding whether or not to get an agent? Post your advice questions here.

Soprano Villains

Postby Madeleine on Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:41 pm

I need to find out how soprano villains sing their high range, yet stay menacing. Any tips or examples would be wonderful! examples can be from anything, not just musicals. I know this is a little weird.
Thank you!
Madeleine

Re: Soprano Villains

Postby dazeddreamer88 on Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:11 pm

Well, from opera, there are a ton of examples, the most obvious being the queen of the night. There are so many and they're so easy to find I'm not going to give any more examples; you can find them for yourself. Unfortunately, most of these are going to be heavy sopranos that won't be singable for a young person (high school or college).

Musical theatre, I'm a little more hard-pressed. It sort of depends on what you mean by a soprano, plus a lot of musicals don't have "villians" per se. The witch from Into the Woods is a mezzo, but that doesn't so much count. Then there's Weill, which is sort of borderline between opera and musical theatre. Jenny and Lucy are pretty high by MT standards, though technically mezzos. In in Jane Eyre, Miss Ingram is sort of a villian, but she's prissy, so I'm not exactly sure if that's what you're looking for. Still, look at "The Finer Things." GREAT for legit soprano.

Ugh. Honestly I can't think of much. Sucks being a soprano if you get sick of ingenues, doesn't it? I sympathize.
dazeddreamer88

Postby Bad Alto on Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:37 am

The only one I can think of is Carlotta from Phantom of the Opera. I once wrote a musical with a soprano villian, though (OK, it was terrible).

My friend's a soprano, and she says that altos have all the best parts. Then I told her that half the altos in musicals are old women.
Bad Alto

Postby DG22894 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:38 pm

Well u have
Amber and Velma in hairspray
Mrs. Hannigan in Annie

It is all in facial expressions
DG22894

Return to Advice