StageAgent.com Home |

Guys & Dolls

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

Guys & Dolls

Postby Sirgallawho64 on Tue May 22, 2007 11:52 am

A local theatre company in my area is doing a production of Guys and Dolls, and I am planning on auditioning for the role of Sky Masterson.

What song would be an appropriate song for me to audition with?

I believe that the song should be from the era (50's) and should show off my range (E2-F#4).
Favorite Musical Right Now: Floyd Collins
Sirgallawho64

Re: Guys & Dolls

Postby Annie on Wed May 23, 2007 10:06 am

Being a girl I don't really can't say what to do. However I've read posts on other forums that suggest using Harold Hill's (Music Man) songs, for example "The Sadder, but Wiser Girl." Or "What do I Need with Love?" from Thoroughly Modern Millie. While Sky and Jimmy don't have much in commen per se, the song matches what Sky goes through when trying to deny he's fallen for Sarah.

All I can think of when I hear Guys & Dolls is "Luck Be A Lady" running through my head, which makes me think Sinatra. Perhaps if you too are a crooner you could get away with doing one of his songs...

Break a leg at your audition!

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby Glissando on Wed May 23, 2007 2:18 pm

Well, if I were a guy auditioning for Sky, I would go with a song closer to the era that Guys and Dolls was written in- classics like South Pacific, Annie Get Your Gun, etc. But "The Sadder But Wiser Girl" sounds perfect!
Glissando+aboutface=musical theatre love

I may be small/But I've got giant plans/to shine as brightly as the sun.... "Astonishing" from Little Women

Glissando

Postby broadwaybaby on Thu May 24, 2007 7:25 pm

"Sadder But, Wiser Girl" definatly Exclamation
broadwaybaby

Postby Sirgallawho64 on Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:48 am

Update: My Voice Teacher says that I should "My Time Of Day" from Guys And Dolls, would it be a mistake to do that instead of "The Sadder But Wiser Girl"?
Favorite Musical Right Now: Floyd Collins
Sirgallawho64

Postby Annie on Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:38 pm

General rule of thumb is that you never use a song from the show that you are auditioning for, unless asked to in the audition notice. Some directors don't care, however I've known a few to request that you don't. If I were you I would contact the director or music director and ask if it is O.K., or at least prepare the other song as a back-up.

Break a leg!

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby Christina on Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:29 pm

Sirgallawho64 wrote:Update: My Voice Teacher says that I should "My Time Of Day" from Guys And Dolls, would it be a mistake to do that instead of "The Sadder But Wiser Girl"?

yes.
Christina

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A