StageAgent.com Home |

FOOTLOOSE AUDITION

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

FOOTLOOSE AUDITION

Postby jfro301 on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:57 am

I'm planning on auditioning for a local community theater production of Footloose. The audition notice says to sing something that "shows off my range." I'm a soprano, but I can also belt. Should I sing a song from the show, or something else? If something else, would "How Lovely to Be a Woman" from Bye Bye Birdie be an appropriate choice? Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated!
jfro301

Re: FOOTLOOSE AUDITION

Postby irishactress11 on Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:51 am

I did the play Footloose, so I know just how you feel. I'm also a soprano. Useally don't sing a song from the play in less they ask you to do so, and if that's the case I would suggest singing 'Let's hear it for the boy'. Most of the songs are upbeat so, I would suggest picking an upbeat song....also pick a song that goes high and low for you, because alot of the music goes up and down. I hope that helped!
irishactress11

Postby Annie on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:12 am

I am not familiar with your song choice so I can't comment on it. As irishactress11 said avoid doing something from the show unless requested by the director/s.

A lot of the female characters need to have a strong belt, so if you have a good belt range try to find a song that showcases that ability. If you don't have a great song to show off your belting ability I'd list your ranges seperately so that they have a good idea of what you can do. Also you'll need to be really good at harmony. If you are really strong in that area I'd list it under special skills.

Break a leg!

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby Glissando on Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:21 pm

You probably already auditioned, but anyway...
I sang part "My Strongest Suit" from Aida for my audition, and I rocked it. You don't necessarily have to sing this, but something in the same style- very rocked out and belty and upbeat.
Glissando+aboutface=musical theatre love

I may be small/But I've got giant plans/to shine as brightly as the sun.... "Astonishing" from Little Women

Glissando

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A