StageAgent.com Home |

Advice needed

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

Advice needed

Postby kirinina on Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:22 am

Hi Folks, I'm new here and I really need some guidance.

There are about to be auditions for one of my favourite musicals but I feel I am not going to be considered fairly for any of the "good" roles. I have been involved with this company for some time and most of the audition panel are ppl I know well and consider friends. Consequently, I feel that since they know my real age (I look much younger, and very much younger on stage) I have already been put in the "too old to play 20-30.." basket. Most people think I am about 28.

I feel this after a conversation with one of the committee who inadvertantly blurted something out while discussing the show with me.

I also fear that they have a preconceived idea of what I can do because they have only seen me in one of my roles which was a very stong character. And while I played a dumb and ditzy young girl about 2 yrs ago, none of them saw that..

Have any of you been in this situation, and how do you keep the audition professional? I want this so badly!

Thanks.

I haven't given much detail I know - the theatre world is so small!
kirinina

Re: Advice needed

Postby Annie on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:00 am

To be honest I was just in this situation. I look like a teenager and I am in my mid-twenties. Most people off the street as me when what grade I'm in. Anyway, I auditioned for a teenage role, was told that my audition was great but they went with someone younger. We got to see everyone audition so I know that I out sang and out acted the other girl, as did the others who auditioned, but they went the political route. It's not always about who has the most talent, no matter what your age. While it killed my chances from the start (because I knew all of them personally) had I been younger it still wouldn't have mattered. People have preconceived notions and some just can't get past them. I decided to opt out of doing the show (I didn't put that I would accept any role, so I was able to decline the one I was offered) and from what I've been told it was the best decision that I could have made. Plus I went back to school which I wouldn't have been able to do had I done the show.

To stay professional you just go in and give them your best audition. Be friendly. If you'll take any role say so, and then do it. If not politely decline. I said that I didn't feel that I could give 100% to the one offered and if they had someone else who could do it then I would rather they have the role. My problem was that they tried to patronize me and tell me that they needed a strong singer for the role, which was a flat out lie. They knew that what they did casting wise for the entire show was political and that I refuse to be a part of shows that are cast that way, even if I benefit from it. Do what is best for you. Do you love theatre or the show enough that you'll enjoy being a part of this production in any capacity? If not don't do it. You'll make yourself and everyone else around you miserable.

There are directors that are open to having their minds changed based on how you audition. I once landed a role that was set for 30-35 at the age of 23 (remember I look even younger) just because I was the only one that gave the director what she was looking for. A friend of mine was able to change this same director's mind when it came to body type for a character. She is tall and overwight, the director wanted someone petit and thin, but again she was able to look past the physical and choose the talent. My friend even won a best supporting actress award for the role! Don't give up yet! You never know what will happen.

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A