StageAgent.com Home |

audition pieces for women

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

audition pieces for women

Postby kirinina on Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:38 am

Hi folks!

Auditions for Thoroughly Modern Millie are about to be held, and I've come to understand that the stage show is quite different from the movie. Have any of you done it?

As I have more experience in choirs because of where I used to live, so I don't know what pieces are really cliched for auditions?

They have indicated that they don't want songs from the show (and I already know half of them) but the stage show only has about 2 common songs anyway!

I started thinking "second hand rose" would be good, era wise, but don't think it shows off much range or style flexibility, then thought of "Don't rain on my parade" -I have great fun singing it, and think it is pretty much get-out-of-the-way-of-my-dreams-coz-i'm-gonna-get-'em - like Millie, but I don't know if every second person will be singing it?
I think there will be alot doing "all that Jazz" -

Any ideas???
kirinina

Re: audition pieces for women

Postby dramaqueen0627 on Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:57 pm

Hey! I'm actually working on that show right now :D . My character is Ruth. I auditoned with "I got the sun in the morning" from annie get your gun.

Some songs people auditioned with were:
"my strongest suit"
"all that jazz"
"i can hear the bells"
"broadway baby"

Just sing something upbeat and of course something your comfortable with. 8-)
Good luck with auditions.
opening night 4 my show is in 2 weekends.
dramaqueen0627

Postby broadwaybound on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:28 pm

Hey! You should check out my post for the Urinetown audition questions. I gave a whole long essay practically about how to pick a good audition song. Some I would suggest for that part are "Johnny One Note", Babes in Arms (it shows off a "belt placement" wonderfully), "Astonishing", Little Women (also starred Sutton Foster. It is a crazy hard song to sing so few people do it well, but if you can do it - go for it!), or "A Change in Me", Beauty and the Beast. These are some of my basic audition songs I like that I think could be good fits for Millie. They are all pretty uncommon ones, but the kind you think that if they were discovered then they would be more popular. "My Strongest Suit", Aida, like previously mentioned could be a very good audition song for you, just if you do choose it, don't let it come across as too snotty. Also a Jekyll and Hyde song could be good. There are lots of powerhouse women songs in that musical (if you know who Linda Eder is, her ex-husband, Frank Wildhorn, wrote a part for her and she is amazing, so there are some great songs). Well... I don't want this to go on for too long so I'll just suggest you check out my other post. I think you could find it very helpful. Good Luck!
-I'll give her this much, she doesn't give a twig about what other people think!
-No, she does, she just pretends not to.
-Fiyero and Galinda, Wicked

why try to fit in when you are born to stand out?

*SHINE*
broadwaybound

Postby kirinina on Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:49 pm

Good luck with the show dramaqueen, it does look like heaps of fun! Break a Leg! let us all know how it goes, won't you?

thanks too Broadwaybound, I did read the post for uninetown previously, and was glad that your advice fit well with my instincts. I will definitely check out those suggestions, though there probably isn't much time for a new and difficult song.. I know a few songs from Babes, but not that one, like I said, I've been more classically/chorally experienced (except for the jazz band and barbershop quartet!).

here's another q for you, what exactly is "belt"? My singing teacher and I have been working my strength up over and beyond my break so I barely have a head vioce anymore..so I don't know what the difference is??
kirinina

Re: Speech Level Singing

Postby broadwaybound on Sun Aug 19, 2007 3:47 pm

The difference between classical singing and belting is that in belting the vocal chords are together and in classical the vocal chords are as far apart as possible. Having the vocal chords together is actually better so the sound is stronger, and you can actually lean into it, but the problem with belting is they try to keep the vocal chords long while encouraging the rising larynx, which hurts badly... And is improper technique. It is comparable to trying to keep the strings on a piano long, but smooshing the piano. Our vocal chords work like all stringed instruments, they should go shorter as the instrument goes higher. Classical is less straining than belting, but you can't lean into the sound due to the seperated vocal chords and it doesn't come down very low. The best technique I have found is Speech Level Singing. It has literally changed my life. The whole concept is to keep the vocal chords together, but keeping the larynx down. The vocal chords get shorter as you go higher, but the resonation comes from everything else staying open. It has made "belting" and "classical" styles easier than they ever were with any of the teachers I have had who taught those different techniques.
check out articles at these sites:

http://deankaelin.com/ (under vocal technique)
http://www.sethriggs.com/
http://www.speechlevelsinging.com/
http://www.myslsworld.com/

I hope this helps!
-I'll give her this much, she doesn't give a twig about what other people think!
-No, she does, she just pretends not to.
-Fiyero and Galinda, Wicked

why try to fit in when you are born to stand out?

*SHINE*
broadwaybound

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A