StageAgent.com Home |

pirates of penzance?

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

pirates of penzance?

Postby starflower on Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:59 pm

I'm a 14 year old who is active in community theater and am auditioning for Pirates of Penzance. I heard via the grapevine that they have a non ensemble part for me, and, as I dont know the show, I was wondering if anyone knew what part that could be, or could just give me some general info on the show. Thanks!
starflower

Re: pirates of penzance?

Postby garitone on Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:29 am

A 14 year-old what? If you are a girl, there are 2 heightened chorus roles (Edith and Kate). Ruth tends to be a bit older and a mezzo or alto. If you are male, they may be thinking of the role of Sam. Good luck.
garitone

Postby starflower on Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:29 pm

I'm a girl, sorry. Thanks for the help. Are Edith and Kate the Captain's (or someone important) daughters?
starflower

Postby broadwaybound on Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:28 am

I was in Pirates of Penzance this past year. The main female roles are Mabel, Ruth and then Kate and Edith. Edith is the oldest daughter of the Major General. Kate is another one of the daughters, as is Mabel. All of the girls in the play are his daughters, except Ruth. She is an old woman. Mabel is the romantic lead and has the majority of the attention. Edith and Kate have a few solo lines throughout the play, but they are very minor parts. It would depend on what ages the director is looking for in each of these parts, but if he wanted younger people, you could be cast as a "sister" (as the Major General's daughters are called). Good luck!
-I'll give her this much, she doesn't give a twig about what other people think!
-No, she does, she just pretends not to.
-Fiyero and Galinda, Wicked

why try to fit in when you are born to stand out?

*SHINE*
broadwaybound

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A