StageAgent.com Home |

Oklahoma! auditions

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

Oklahoma! auditions

Postby johnvaljean on Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:58 pm

i desperately want to be laurie and i really think i have a shot. the question is which song to sing. i was thinking "So In Love" from Kiss Me, Kate because it goes as high as "Out of my dreams" but i'm not sure it really portrays Laurie's character very well.

any suggestions?
johnvaljean

Re: Oklahoma! auditions

Postby Annie on Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:48 pm

I don't recommend "So in Love" because the character is wrong and a lot of the song is sung in a lower range and is waaaay too slow. Laurey is a girl with some spunk which needs to be shown off.

I think that if you have time to learn it, if you don't already know it, then you should think about using "Show Me" from My Fair Lady, without an accent of course. If you decide to use it, make sure you use the second ending to show off the G at the end.

Girls tend to pick slow and boring ballads for auditions and I really think that you'd stand out more using an uptempo piece that allows you to show a lot of character.

Break a leg!
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A