StageAgent.com Home |

The Full Monty- Horse

Q & A for directors, stage managers, choreographers, costume designers and anyone else involved in putting on a production.

The Full Monty- Horse

Postby DirectorRon on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:12 am

A theatre group I am part of is planning to produce The Full Monty. The part of Horse is a role that quite obviously should be played by a black male, hence the song "Big Black Man" and quite a bit of the dialog. In some of my research I've seen that some companies have done this show without a black man. How do they do it? Do they change the dialog and remove the song?
Any suggestions and/or advice is sincerely appreciated!
-Ron
DirectorRon

Re: The Full Monty- Horse

Postby Sirgallawho64 on Wed May 02, 2007 5:01 pm

No, The part of Horse should be played by a black man, because the humor of having a song called "Big Black Man" You might want to have a black guy.
Favorite Musical Right Now: Floyd Collins
Sirgallawho64

Postby DirectorRon on Thu May 03, 2007 7:04 am

I fully agree, Gallawho. And believe me, I would certainly prefer the part to be played by a black man since it's how the part is intended by the playwrite. But what I'm asking is HOW did the groups that didn't use a black man get around that?
DirectorRon

Postby Sirgallawho64 on Thu May 03, 2007 4:07 pm

Most Likely they cut the song from the production, because even though "Big Black Man" is Horse's biggest number he is still in "The Goods" as well.
Sirgallawho64

Postby DirectorRon on Fri May 04, 2007 6:02 am

I guess that would mean they also altered or cut quite a few lines as there are several references to his race and "expected" features. That's really too bad since it really adds to the reality of stereotypes in today's society.
DirectorRon

Postby Sirgallawho64 on Tue May 22, 2007 11:24 am

Definatlely. I think that the part of Horse should be played by a black man end of topic.
Sirgallawho64

Return to Production Help