StageAgent.com Home |

jekyll and hyde audition help (i'm offering, not asking)

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

jekyll and hyde audition help (i'm offering, not asking)

Postby johnvaljean on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:58 am

my dream role is lucy harris in jekyll and hyde. when i got the chance to audition for her, i spent hours and hours trying to find the right song and monolouge. what i came up with was "When I Look At You" by Frank Wildhorn from the show The Scarlet Pimprenel, he wrote j&h as well. now if you're a soprano, dont be discouraged to use a mezzo song. i am not fully into my voice yet but even though i am pretty confident i am a lyric soprano, i was very suceessful using this song. my monolouge was from The Night Watcher. you cant access the website i got it from anymore so i'll post it at the bottom of this. the background information will tell you everything you need to know. this character can absoultley be played like lucy. now what happened with me is i got a call back for lucy and my competition was pretty steep. i had seen 2 other girls on that list star in les mis and they were obviously favorites in this company. well i didn't get the part, but i got her best friend. (if you are unfamiliar with the show, there are only 4 female speaking parts: lucy, nellie, emma, and lady beaconsfield.) and i also beat out one of those girls i thought would smother me with their enormous talent. so if you find yourself with an oppertunity to audition for this show i suggest when i look at you and the night watcher!

Background Info: Baily, a mentally challenged adult now living with her sister and her sister's husband was recently raped by her sister's husband. In this monologue, she explains the reason she feels she was raped.

I never knew I was different. Growing up you always made me feel like a normal kid. You even let me hang out with you and your friends even though none of them liked me much (beat). You remember that day when Jessie's brother called me that naughty word and mama said it was just because he grew up in a family where he didn't learn right from wrong? Well, now I know why he called me that name. It was because I am different. I didn't know before...now i do.(beat) If I wasn't different I wouldn't still live with you, if i wasn't different, he wouldn't have called me names. If I wasn't different, (her anger suddenly turns to tears) I would have done something, I wouldn’t have "gotten laid" if I wasn't different, we wouldn't be in this mess and we would still be sisters like we used to be.
johnvaljean

Re: jekyll and hyde audition help (i'm offering, not asking)

Postby Annie on Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:16 am

I'll have to check out the song you listed. It's weird I've been thinking about asking for advice on auditioning for Lucy, but I'm still undecided on whether or not to audition. (I have a night class scheduled one of the rehearsal nights and it's a class I have to have for my degree! Arg!!)

~Annie
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Re: jekyll and hyde audition help (i'm offering, not asking)

Postby dramaqueen0627 on Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:21 pm

Do you have any other song suggestion?
What was the song the girl who got chosen for Lucy sang?
dramaqueen0627

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A