StageAgent.com Home |

Brigadoon

Discuss all your favorite musicals.

Brigadoon

Postby Dancergirl on Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:55 am

They are doing Brigadoon next summer at my community theatre. I don't know a whole lot about the show except that it takes place in Scottland, and the little village only comes alive every one hundred years. I have some questions about it.

1) What are the parts like?

2) How many chorus numbers are there?

3) What is the dancing like?
Dancergirl

Re: Brigadoon

Postby DevonMarie on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Ok, here's a rundown about being in the show:

If you're a lead, then I suppose it would be a lot of fun. There's a lot of good music. If you're ensemble, not so much fun anymore. Or at least for me when I did it. There are a lot of ballads, lots of sitting time, at least in Act II. For the women there are five numbers, maybe more depending on how your director decides to do it. For the men there are six numbers, once again, it can change depending on how your director decides to do the show. The dancing in the show can be anywhere from very little to tons. During the song Come To Me, there is a dance break. It's a wonderful opportunity to add in a little ballet. It all depends. If you're a guy and you do the show, you may have a chance to do the sword dance which happens at the end of the wedding scene. It's amazing! Also, when Tommy and Jeff head back to New York and Tommy meets his gal in the club, there's a chance to do some swing or other form of swing dancing. Also a word of caution, this show is up in the rafters! I was an alto for this show and I was past my mezzo range. If you are a soprano then this is the show for you!

Hope this helped you!
DevonMarie

Re: Brigadoon

Postby jandanzer on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:24 am

I've done this show twice and it's a big dance show. Two of the female leads must dance (Maggie and Jean) as well as 3 men (including Harry Beaton) for the sword dance. A couple of nice big production numbers in the opening and in the wedding. Dancing requires good strong ballet background.

Singing wise, strong soprano and baritone chops for Fiona and Tommy; Meg requires an alto voice who can belt. Tommy's sidekick gift is a comic role with no singining.

Great score by Lerner and Lowe with some very memorable music. From a singing/dancing chorus standpoint it was a fun show to do and I was on stage a lot.
jandanzer

Return to Musicals