StageAgent.com Home |

High School Musical Audition

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

High School Musical Audition

Postby defygravity on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:02 am

My local theatre is doing High School Musical this fall and i would like to audition for it. From watching the movie and knowing who i am, I've decided that i would like to audition for Gabriella. I have no clue what to use as an audition song though. I'm 15, almost 16 and am a soprano. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. I'm looking for more of a pop style musical theatre song for a soprano.
defygravity

Re: High School Musical Audition

Postby hewittdy on Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:41 pm

At my High School we put on HSM this year. They had the girls sing "Start of Something New."
For an audition song? Um....well for a soprano what about "Popular" or "No One Mourns the Wicked"
Glinda from Wicked is supposed to be a soprano. Hopefully that helps. Good luck at auditions!
hewittdy

Postby lilmissdaae on Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:42 pm

"Popular" is a good song, but if you auditioned using that song they might get the impression that you want to be Sharpay. Maybe, "I Feel Pretty," from West Side Story? Gabriella reminds me of the young, cute girl in love that Maria is. Hope this helps! Good luck!!!

lilmissdaae
lilmissdaae

Postby thespionage_darling on Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:41 pm

Wow, I can't even EXPLAIN how much I love HSM. Anyway, I think that Gabriella is sort of a sweet smart girl, very much like Belle, so perhaps you could sing "Home." It's pretty and suttle. I actually think that Gabriella is a Mezzo, so maybe you could sing a song with a little bit lower range (depending on your range, of course). Oh.

I actually just read the end of your post with the whole "pop song" bit it in. If you sing a poppy song, people might think that you want Sharpay, seeing as she's so much more outspoken and drama-queen-y.

Well, whatever you choose, hope you have a great audition! <3
thespionage_darling

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A