StageAgent.com Home |

but thats what he looks for," OByrne said. "He needs that

Announcements from StageAgent.com

but thats what he looks for," OByrne said. "He needs that

Postby kaisy on Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:14 am

LONDON -- Udinese produced a stirring comeback to beat Liverpool 3-2 away in the Europa League on Thursday, joining fellow Italian teams Inter Milan and Lazio in notching maiden group-stage victories in this seasons competition. Trailing 1-0 at halftime at Anfield, Udinese stunned the five-time European champions with a second-half fightback sparked by Antonio Di Natales well-taken equalizer and completed by Giovanni Pasquales drilled finish that proved to be the winning goal. "We cant have to score three, four or five goals to win games," said Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers, bemoaning defensive sloppiness that has plagued his team so far this season. "Were just disappointed after such a good first half to give away such poor goals in the second half to leave us chasing the game." Anzhi Makhachkala is level on four points with Udinese at the top of Group A thanks to a 2-0 win over Young Boys, courtesy of a brace by veteran Cameroon striker Samuel Etoo. Inter scored all its goals in the first half in a 3-1 win at Neftci of Azerbaijan to leave Andrea Stramaccionis side level on four points in Group H with Rubin Kazan, which beat Partizan Belgrade 2-0. Lazio heads Group J on four points following a 1-0 home win over Maribor of Slovenia but Tottenham is languishing in third place after conceding a late equalizer in a 1-1 draw at struggling Panathinaikos. The only dampener on the night for Serie A clubs was Napolis 3-0 loss at PSV Eindhoven. That result ceded top spot in Group F to Dnipro and came as a surprise given a 4-0 win over AIK Solna by Walter Mazzarris side two weeks ago and its strong start to Serie A, where the team is unbeaten in second place. Elsewhere, Cristian Rodriguez grabbed an injury-time winner for Atletico Madrid in a 1-0 victory over Plzen, the defending champions second straight triumph in Group B. French club Lyon also left it late to beat Hapoel Kiryat Shmona 4-3 in a thrilling match in Israel, with Gueida Fofana scoring a stoppage-time winner. However, there was no end to the woes of Athletic Bilbao, last seasons beaten finalist, which lost 3-1 to Sparta Prague to slump to the bottom of Group I. Bilbao is also in the relegation zone in the Spanish league. In other results, France forward Loic Remy scored twice in Group C leader Marseilles 5-1 thrashing of AEL Limassol, fellow French club Bordeaux was sunk 3-0 at Newcastle and Hannover beat Levante 2-1 despite playing with 10 men for 80 minutes. In another surprising result, unheralded Hungarian side Videoton swept past Sporting Lisbon 3-0 in Group G. Liverpool came into the match against Udinese in buoyant mood after finally ending its winless run in the Premier League with a 5-2 demolition of Norwich on Saturday. It started well, with Jonjo Shelvey putting the team ahead in the 23rd with a fine header. But the evergreen Di Natale equalized 32 seconds after the break by meeting a cross from the left with a superb guided finish and after Sebastian Coates headed into his own net, Pasquale ran onto Di Natales lay-off and thumped a low shot into the corner in the 72nd. Substitute Luis Suarez pulled a goal back from a free kick but late pressure failed to produce an equalizer for Liverpool. Inter warmed up for Sundays city derby with AC Milan with a victory courtesy of goals by Philippe Coutinho, Joel Obi and Marko Livaja. "Even though there were a lot of changes to the side, Inter put in a really solid first half," said Stramaccioni. "This group of players is on the way up." Edersons 62nd-minute winner left Lazio in control of a group containing Spurs, who took a first-half lead through Michael Dawson but failed to make their dominance count before Toche levelled in the 77th for Panathinaikos. The Greek team was there for the taking after its poor start in the domestic league, which resulted in officials throwing captain Costas Katsouranis off the team on Wednesday. "There is a sense of disappointment," said Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas, who won the Europa League with Porto in 2011. "In the second half, we made a lot of mistakes in passing and that let them in the game. But a point away from home is positive." Matt Giordano Jersey . Catch the action live on TSN, beginning at 7pm et/4pm pt. Despite winning four of their last five games, the Maple Leafs are fighting to stay alive in the Eastern Conference playoff race. Chris Givens Youth Jersey . -- The Chicago Bears reached the Super Bowl under coach Lovie Smith and consistently boasted a formidable defence. http://www.ramssportsfanstore.com/ . The result was similar to what he gave Philadelphia in his 14 years in charge of the Eagles. Eric Dickerson Womens Jersey .Y. -- Amare Stoudemire will go into next season with $45 million left on his contract and no guarantee of a starting job. James Laurinaitis Elite Jersey . The team used its amnesty clause on Scola, according to the person who spoke on condition of anonymity Friday because the move has not been announced.TORONTO -- Its been over 20 years since a Toronto Maple Leafs defenceman enjoyed a debut like Ryan OByrnes. OByrne scored in Torontos 4-3 home win over the New York Rangers on Monday night. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, OByrne was the first Leafs defenceman to record a goal in his debut since Jamie Macoun did so Jan. 4, 1992 versus Chicago. "I set the bar high," OByrne said with a chuckle. "Obviously Im not known for my goal scoring but if I can chip in offensively thats great. "But, no, I wouldnt say expect me to score night in and night out." Toronto figured it landed a stay-at-home defenceman when it acquired the 28-year-old Victoria native from Colorado for a 2014 fourth-round pick at last weeks NHL trade deadline. But on Monday night, the six-foot-five, 234-pound OByrne jumped into the rush, took a nice cross-ice pass from Nazem Kadri and beat Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist. "We unleashed him tonight," Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle joked following Mondays game. "Hes not known for his offensive prowess, but he was smart enough to get up on the play, recognize the situation and he took advantage of it." The goal was just OByrnes fifth in 301 career NHL games since being selected in the third round, 79th overall, by Montreal in the 2003 NHL entry draft. "I dont jump into the rush much," OByrne said. "It was just one of those things where I kind of saw a chip out there, there was a whole bunch of open space . . . it opened up and Naz made a beautiful pass to me and I got a nice shot off at Lundqvist and the rest is history." Many players dread being traded and having to pull up stakes during the NHL season. But moving to Toronto has been a breath of fresh air for OByrne. The Leafs (22-13-4) are fifth in the Eastern Conference and firmly control their playoff destiny. Heady stuff for a squad thats not been to the NHL post-season since 2004. But the playoffs are a pipe dream for Colorado, last in the league with a 12-22-5 record. The frustration of a losing season was clearly evident Monday night when veteran goalie Jean-Sebastien Giguere -- a former Leaf -- ripped his teammates following a 3-1 loss to Calgary, the Avs fifth straight. "Some guys are more worried about their Vegas trip at the end of the season than playing the games, than playing every minute of the games," Giguere told the Denver Post. "Its embarrassing. Im embarrassed to be here right now. Its not even funny. "And its just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Its not how youre going to win any games in this league. I mean, this is a team (Calgary) that we can beat if we set our minds to it, and every day is the same story." OByrne feels for Giguere, 35, who won the 2003 Conn Smythe Trophy as the NHLs playoff MVP before helping Anaheim win the 07 Stanley Cup. "Hes just frustrated," OByrne said. "Nobody likes to lose, especially being last in the NHL . . . it wears on you. "We all know Giguere, hes a great guy, hes a winner and wants to win. It just obviously got to him and I dont blame him one bit." And thats what makes OByrne reallly appreciate suiting up for a playoff-contending team and having something substantial to play for each game.dddddddddddd "Going to rink every day when youre on a last-place team in the NHL is tough," he said. "Its not a nice atmosphere, no ones happy, everyones walking on eggshells. "To come into a situation where theyve been winning here and having some success is exciting, its great to be here. Its an easy transition." Helping OByrnes transition has been joining a Leafs team that plays physical hockey and leads the NHL in hits. Thats right up OByrnes alley as he left Colorado second on the club in hits with 76. "Its a style that fits the way I play," he said. "Randy wants a physical brand of hockey and thats a big part of my game. "Its not just me, everyone is finishing their checks. Im happy to come here, play my game and contribute physically." A more physical approach could help Toronto better contain Rangers forward Rick Nash and boost its chances for an important sweep of the home-and-home series. The six-foot-four, 218-pound Nash used his size and speed to score twice Monday night and the Leafs wont have the benefit of last change to try and match up against him Wednesday. But OByrne said one approach Toronto can take to try and contain Nash is get up close and personal with the towering forward. "Sometimes you have a tendency to back off because you dont want to get beat but thats what he looks for," OByrne said. "He needs that space so youve got to get up on him, get a good gap on him and take that time and space away from him and make him chip the puck. "Once he gets some speed going hes pretty tough to contain on the outside. Hes a player we need to watch out for." Carlyle agreed. "The whole thing is weve got to be closer to him," Carlyle said. "There shouldnt be so much space between him and the defending player. "You try and limit his time and space. You know hes a big guy, youve got to play the body as much as possible and keep your feet moving." Mondays victory was important because it gave Toronto a six-point lead over the seventh-place Rangers. But a win Wednesday night would create more separation and further boost the confidence of a Leafs team thats won five of six games. "It was nice to get that win, its huge, theres no denying that," OByrne said. "But this game coming up is even bigger. "The Rangers are going to be a desperate team, they want that win to. You have to sweep these home and homes, theyre huge, theyre big swing series and we know the importance of that." NOTES -- Forward Joffrey Lupul didnt skate Tuesday but Carlyle said he had an off-ice workout and treatment and remains day-to-day. Lupul has missed two games since suffering an upper-body injury Thursday against Philadelphia. Carlyle said Lupul wont play Wednesday . . . Kadri wore a green practice jersey Tuesday usually reserved for fourth-line forwards but Carlyle told reporters not to read anything into it . . . Carlyle admits he keeps an eye on the NHL standings. "You cant help but not look at them. Theyre printed everywhere, theyre up daily so you have to look at them. I dont study them." ' ' '
kaisy

Return to StageAgent.com Announcements