StageAgent.com Home |

Hints and tips on keeping your voice in tip top condition

Need help with a big audition? Deciding whether or not to get an agent? Post your advice questions here.

Hints and tips on keeping your voice in tip top condition

Postby Keep It Simple on Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:03 pm

I have found that as i progress through a week of performances my voice gets worse and i was wondering if anyone has any tips on helping keep my voice in tip top condition.

Anyone?

Keep It Simple

Re: Hints and tips on keeping your voice in tip top condition

Postby The Tenore on Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:07 pm

There's not a vast amount that you can do, unfortunately. Through good singing technique, you should be safe from any lasting damage to your voice. The main thing is to drink lots of water whenever you are offstage, make sure you warm up properly before the performance, and get a good night's sleep after each show.
The Tenore

Postby Keep It Simple on Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:21 am

hehe thankyou

Keep It Simple

Postby tortallcit on Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:38 pm

I don't know this would apply or not, and it's probably a very well known fact, but for gods sake, don't smoke, especially when a show's going up... most of the actors I know are notorious for it,or were notorious for it until they paid dearly...
Working on:
Assistant Stage Managing for "Oklahoma"
Stage Managing, Monologue, and Sound Design for "Anthology"
Spotlight for "Christmas Follies"
One-Act Tryouts after X-mas
tortallcit

Postby Annie on Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:02 pm

Too much water at once can be a bad thing, too. Your kidneys may not be able to handle large quantities. I recommend drinking half of your body weight in ounces over the course of the day, every day. This helps keep your stress levels down. You'll also be more focused, alert and it will help you remember things.

Also, stay away from cough drops or anything mentholated, they will strip your vocal chords.

Get plenty of sleep and when you can avoid talking. If you have to talk a lot through out the day make sure you have proper breath support.
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby ollie47 on Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:09 pm

Drink water! People say tea is good for you, but the truth is that water is the best thing for your voice. Also, stay away from caffiene, because it sucks the water out of your body, also taking the moisture from your vocal cords. Avoid dairy products before a performance because they cause pleghm to build up in your throat and make it difficult to sing (you'll have to keep clearing your throat). If problems continue or if you lose a lot of your vocal range, I'd see a voice doctor, just to make sure you dont have nodes or some other condition. Just make sure you warm up and don't strain your voice...and drink water, and you should be fine! :-)
ollie47

Return to Advice