StageAgent.com Home |

Projection

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

Projection

Postby perpetualadorer on Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:26 am

I'm not really new to theater, but I have a problem projecting. I've had 3 years of drama classes too! Haha! We were never really taught to project properly in any of these classes, which I guess is why I still struggle with it. I am very soft-spoken, thus when I try to project it usually comes out as a yell simply because I'm not naturally loud. Anyway, can any of you give me advice on how to properly project? Thanks!

~Brittany
perpetualadorer

Re: Projection

Postby Annie on Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:52 am

I completely understand your frustration, for I too, am naturally soft spoken. When I was in eighth grade I lost out on a lead role because I thought projection was shouting (which for me still wasn't very loud!) and no one told me any differently. Evil or Very Mad In fact I was told to "just shout in my face" by the person I had to talk to in my first CT production. Rolling Eyes Shouting will damage your cords over time.

Do you have trouble projecting when singing? I ask this because the support comes from the same place. You need to breathe as if you are singing. I hope this makes sense. I never had anyone explain it to me properly, I just noticed that when I learned to breathe properly, for singing, my speaking projection improved naturally.

Practice it at home, try having a conversation with someone who is in a different part of the house, or across the street. Eventually you won't even have to think about it, it will just happen.
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby perpetualadorer on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:50 am

Wow! No one told me that! I'll give it a try. Though, I do have some trouble projecting while singing, but I'm getting better at it. Thank you so much!
perpetualadorer

Postby broadwaybaby on Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:32 pm

If you have trouble projecting one of the best things to do is to take voice lessons. They can really teach you not only to sing from your diafram but, talk from it to. Then you don't have to strain your voice to get the volume you need. If you do that during a long running show it can have some really bad long term effects.
broadwaybaby

Postby DirectorRon on Fri May 04, 2007 6:19 am

Brittany-
Think of your voice as starting in the pit of your stomach, at the base of your innerds... where your belly button crosses your midsection. Then take a deep breath, expanding your stomach, not your chest and let out a long low-sounding gutteral moan. Keep pushing that moan out of your innerds (think belly button) and force it up through your stomach, into your throat (skip the chest complete as you'll tend to over use your lungs instead) and into your mouth. With your mouth open feel it spread wider as if someone is forcing a tennis ball into the back of your mouth, without gagging you, of course. Keep practicing this as you take deeper and deeper breathes that will produce longer and longer moans. Once you get the hang of doing that, try turning just your head to one side so that your body is still facing forward but your face is giving a profile. Doing this will cause your throat to feel like it's cutting off your sound. That's good. That means the sound is making it to the narrowest part of it's journey. Work hard at making that sound just as loud with your head turned as it is when you're facing full front. Then try it with your head turned the other way. After you've worked this into knowing what it feels like to have sound start at the bottom and work its way up and out, switch to saying a long sentence. And I mean a LONG sentence. One that will take more than your usual one-breath to say. Sometimes it's easy to start reciting the alphabet because that will also help you to improve your diction at the same time. Continue to practice doing this reguarly until your mind and stomach and vocal chords all feel the same "groove" like its second nature. And whatever you do, do NOT yell or scream. That only damages the vocal chords. Being loud on stage does not mean screaming on stage. It's human nature to let the pitch of your voice to go higher the louder you get. Focus on that, too. Keep your sound as low as possible so that it continues to come from (yes I'm saying it again because it's a fun word to hear) your innerds.
Good luck!
-Ron
DirectorRon

Postby knemily on Tue May 15, 2007 3:28 pm

Have you ever taken voice lessons and learned about different placements? It is somewhat hard to explain, but there are five major placements (1 Peking, 2 Belt, 3 Legit, 4 Classical, 5 Opera... I think that is basically what they are called...I may be wrong...mention those terms to the qualified person you are asking *Your drama teacher, director, a singing teacher...etc.*) that the voice is placed in and changes with the style of the song or the style you choose to sing it in. This helps me with projection in singing and also if you try to focus on the placement technique of 2 and 3 when speaking it helps me to project. Look this up, or ask a drama teacher or singing teacher if they can help explain placement to you better, or if anyone on the forum feels really qualified to talk about it... feel free!
knemily

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A