StageAgent.com Home |

Are songs from "Sweeney Todd" okay for auditions??

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

Are songs from "Sweeney Todd" okay for auditions??

Postby BackOnStage26 on Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:26 am

Just curious, now that the movie "Sweeney Todd" has hit, will audition songs chosen from that show be okay?
I am auditoning in a few weeks for Panny in "Urinetown" and had prepared an excerpt from "The Worst Pies in London" ... I thought it was a great choice as the characters are both sassy, the music is similar in style, with fast spoken/sung dialogue, followed by more lyrical bars.
Any thoughts, or other suggestions? I also have "You Don't Know this Man" from Parade.
BackOnStage26

Re: Are songs from "Sweeney Todd" okay for auditions??

Postby Annie on Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:19 pm

I haven't seen Urinetown so I can't say whether or not the song is a good fit. As for songs from Sweeney Todd, you should be able to get away with the songs for a little while at least. Sondheim is usually discouraged when it comes to auditioning for non-Sondheim shows because the music is so difficult to play, so you could be taking a gamble in that respect. If both songs fit the character you are going for then pick the one that you are the most comfortable with. Break a leg at your audition!
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A