StageAgent.com Home |

First Time Auditioning

Need help with the big audition? Trying to decide what monologue to perform? Discuss all your audition and performance related issues here.

First Time Auditioning

Postby theatregirl on Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:54 pm

Hi!

I'm planning on auditioning with our local community theatre this summer. They are putting on Guys and Dolls. I've sang in choir and taken drama classes but this will be my first audition. I'm 16. Anyone have any general advice?

Thanks! Mr. Green
theatregirl

Re: First Time Auditioning

Postby Annie on Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:25 pm

If you've never had voice lessons, but you can get some I'd take a couple. That way if you need help selecting a song, or with phrasing and style that will help. Plus you'll be more confident if you've worked on the song with someone.

Depending on the theatre you may not have to read or sing from the show, but just in case I would definitely listen to a copy of the cast album and read the script if a copy is available. Auditions are nerve racking enough without having to sing or read something you've never seen or heard before Smile That was my downfall at my first CT audition. I made the callbacks and had no idea what I was doing! Embarassed

Break a leg!
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby broadwaybaby on Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:43 am

Well first of all what role do you want? then I say pick your song/monologe based on that. Also don't be nervous, just think of it as the director is looking for you and you're saying that you'll do it if he thinks your right. Good Luck.
broadwaybaby

Postby theatregirl on Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:20 pm

Wow, thanks for the responses!

I just bought the album and score so I think that will be very helpful. I'd be thrilled just to be in the chorus for now. This is so fun!
theatregirl

Postby knemily on Tue May 15, 2007 3:32 pm

I don't know anything about your experience or how you sing or anything, of course, but if you are looking for good ensemble parts to try out for,there are a few that are fun in Guys and Dolls, after listening to the score you can choose whether you think your type is more like the Hot Box dancers, or the Mission band... both of which have a lot of fun parts. The hot box girls usually have to dance a lot, so if you don't feel as comfortable with dance, then I would suggest focusing on the Mission band. One fun part that is ensemble, but has a few more lines and a bit of a larger part is General Cartwright. Just a few suggestions... There are not very many girl parts that are not either very small ensemble, or the two leads (Adelaide and Sarah)... but it is a very fun show!
knemily

Postby WMassSoprano on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:43 pm

I know I'm a little late to the party here but I had to chime in.

The best advice I've ever seen or heard when it comes to auditions (and I didn't come up with it myself) is:
Remember... the production team (Director, Music Director, Choreographer) are on your side. They want you to succeed. Their goal is to put on the very best show that they can and if you are wonderful, their show is going to be that much better so they want you to be the very best that you can. It's easy to slip into the mindset that it's an adversarial relationship and they're out to get you or out to judge you, but really... everyone is on the same team working toward the same goal.

Remembering that always seems to help me when I get a bit jittery at an audition. I just have to remember that it's all about having fun and doing my best. We do community theater because we love it, so you might as well enjoy the process!

Hope that helped, at least a little!
WMassSoprano

Return to Audition & Performing Q & A