StageAgent.com Home |

Good, Modern Comedy

Q & A for directors, stage managers, choreographers, costume designers and anyone else involved in putting on a production.

Good, Modern Comedy

Postby TinyDancer2oo8 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:00 pm

hey everybody, i am looking for a non-musical, modern comedy for a high school to perform. i would really like one with an even-gendered cast, and the cast size should probably be at least eight, with no maximum.
Some shows we have done recently:

A Midsummer Night's Dream
Lend Me A Tenor
My Sister Eileen
Sandbag, Stage Left
Mandate for Murder

thank you!
TinyDancer2oo8

Re: Good, Modern Comedy

Postby harpdawg on Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:08 am

"Noises Off" is a really funny show. May or may not be appropriate for a high school.....Good Luck!
harpdawg

Postby Annie on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:11 pm

I did a show called Meet My Husbands (Fred Carmichael) a few years back. It involves a well rounded cast: 5 women and 4 men. The audience seemed to enjoy it. I've seen much funnier shows, but they are either male dominant, not appropriate for High School, or the cast is too small for what you are looking for. Does it have to be modern?
Last edited by Annie on Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Annie

Currently~ Miss Myrna Thorn in Ruthless! the Musical
Recently~ Emma Carew (Jekyll & Hyde), Sister Mary Leo (Nunsense), Demeter (Cats), Tzeitel (Fiddler on the Roof)
Annie

Postby SopranoHarmony on Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:03 pm

"Noises Off" is a very funny show, I agree... but only has 5 people... and might not be completely appropriate. It might be okay though.
SopranoHarmony

Postby harpdawg on Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:05 am

Actually....."Noises Off" has 5 men and 4 women
harpdawg

Postby TinyDancer2oo8 on Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:57 am

our last show was Shakeapeare, so we'd like to switch it up this time
TinyDancer2oo8

Postby tonimc75 on Wed Nov 14, 2007 12:19 pm

We just finished Done to Death by Fred Carmichael. It went over really well both with the cast and the highschool audience - we were told it was our best (though I feel our best was MSND a few years ago :) ) Another good one was The Calamityville Terror It was a little "cheesey" but again, the audience is mainly HS students and they ate it up.
tonimc75

Postby susan? on Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:45 pm

We did a production of Dearly Departed that was a huge hit with our High Schoolers. There are a few little spots where you might have to edit a smidge depending on how conservation your community and administration are, but it's fun for the HS age range to perform and to watch.
susan?

Return to Production Help