StageAgent.com Home |

HELP! Which musical?

Need help with a big audition? Deciding whether or not to get an agent? Post your advice questions here.

HELP! Which musical?

Postby baml19 on Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:04 pm

So my school needs to pick an annual musical. The teacher has no idea which musical to choose. So I was hoping some people here could make some suggestions. The situation: We have TONS of girls who need/deserve parts but only 2 or 3 boys. What musicals rely heavily on women? ANY responses are greatly appreciated.
baml19

Re: HELP! Which musical?

Postby tortallcit on Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Sort of a dratted situation dealt with in almost every high school... and I hate to sing the same tune, but Cinderella... the only definate male parts are The Prince, The King, and The Herald. There are many female parts, Cinderella, Step Mother, 2 step sisters, god mother, queen. All with solos. The Steward and the Chef can be either/or.
Working on:
Assistant Stage Managing for "Oklahoma"
Stage Managing, Monologue, and Sound Design for "Anthology"
Spotlight for "Christmas Follies"
One-Act Tryouts after X-mas
tortallcit

Postby Phantom997 on Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:29 pm

I don't know what kind of costume department you have, but what about Seussical? The Cat in the Hat and Jojo can be played by girls, so the only boys you would need are Horton, the General, and the mayor.
Phantom997

Postby DG22894 on Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:13 pm

If it is in Middle School. Annie would work very well. The only boys are Bert Healy, Mr. Worbucks, and Roster.

Grey Gardens would work well too, You can make Brooks a girl. So u would only have Jerry , Joe (Both played by the same acter in two seprate acts) and the Mayor.
DG22894

Postby ktkluvsbway on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:23 pm

I know just how it feels to have very few guys
my high school is just the same way, only we have about 3 very talented girls, too
I would suggest 'Bye Bye Birdie'
We just did that, and it was pretty good
we were somehow able to get some of the guy friends of people in the show to help out for 'The Telephone Hour' and the whole shriner scene, and Randolph (Kim's younger brother) can always be changed to a younger sister

other shows that have very few males are SMILE (it floped on broadway, but has great music, and almost entirely female cast), and 'She Loves Me'

Let us know what show you end up doing, so i can suggest it for my school as well!
:)
ktkluvsbway

Postby ktkluvsbway on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:25 pm

sorry, I almost forgot,
another good one to do is 'Little Shop of Horrors'
ktkluvsbway

Return to Advice