StageAgent.com Home |

Oliver! Audition...Help!

Need help with a big audition? Deciding whether or not to get an agent? Post your advice questions here.

Oliver! Audition...Help!

Postby Robin Goodfellow on Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:31 pm

I am in need of some advice. A theatre in my area is doing a production of Oliver!, and I would really like to be cast as the Artful Dodger. But I have one small problem: I'm a girl.

I know it seems completely unrealistic, but that's really the only major problem people I've talked to have noted. I'm on the shorter side, I'm learning how to put my hair up and make it look natural, and I can make my voice sound more masculine pretty well. Still, I'm rather worried. Does anyone have any advice?

Thank you!
Robin Goodfellow

Re: Oliver! Audition...Help!

Postby stageman on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:00 pm

GO FOR IT!

It is very common for girls to be cast as boys. Non-traditional casting is very popular these days. If you can sing, act and dance the part then you have a real chance. Just make sure at the audition you go all out in your 'boyness'. Dress like a boy, put your hair like a boy, act like a boy. Good luck! Let us know what happens . . . Regardless, Oliver is a fun show to be in no matter what part you get.
stageman

Postby wendybird on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Definitely go for it! When I did oliver, not only was Oliver a girl but the Artful Dodger was as well!
Just make sure that you act like a tough boy, and not a man...because Dodger doesn't have that deep of a voice. and if you braid your hair and then pin it up to your head (this sounds funny, but it works!) then it makes your hair look shorter! :D
Good luck!
wendybird

Postby Bridge on Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:27 am

hey! Last winter iwas in Oliver and a good friend of mine, who is a girl, who was new to the theatre got Dodger. So I say go for it its definetly possible
Bridge

Postby ilyjake<3 on Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:08 pm

You should do it but just make sure your not shy( :oops: ) at all just act completly natural 8-) and if you have experince with other male roles then that would also help! I hope you get the part good luck :D
ilyjake<3

Return to Advice