Indian Head Center for the Arts, Indian Head, Southern Maryland (only 20 miles south of DC)
We are holding auditions for non-union actors/singers for the ‘WORLD PREMIER’ of:
LAUGHING DAUGHTER (The Musical).
Directed by: Bill Graves
Musical Director: James Watson
Written and Produced by: Roger Penycate and Rick Jones
The auditions and performances will be held at the theatre.
Tuesday, 2nd June - From 7.00pm
Sunday, 7th June – From 11.00am
Tuesday, 9th June – 7.00pm (Callbacks if necessary)
The audition will be in 2 parts:
• Please be vocally ‘warmed up’ when you arrive
• Be prepared to sing 16 – 32 bars of a song from the musical theatre repertoire.
• Bring a copy of your sheet music for accompanist
• Be prepared to be accompanied (no a capella or pre-recorded music)
• Prepare a one minute dramatic monologue.
• Either bring with you or email in advance a brief resume and headshot.
All wages for actors/crew/orchestra will be equal, $250 for the duration (including rehearsals)
We appreciate that this is not a lot of money however we do have a ‘payroll’ of 20+ ???
There may be a bonus dependent upon the ticket sales, however we cannot guarantee that.
Performance dates: 3rd - 6th 10th - 13th and 17th – 20th September 2009
Rehearsals will be held during the summer.
Laughing Daughter is a Country Rock/Americana Musical depicting the interwoven lives and loves of three very different couples.
Laughing Daughter, a 19 girl old Native American girl, bored with performing at local shows and possessing a beautiful voice, harbors a dream of being a star in the Nashville heavens. With her father’s reluctant blessing she leaves the reservation, her father Storm Heart, and James her long-time faithful boyfriend to seek her fame.
Junior Johnson is a singer/songwriter traveling the country performing at a variety of gigs, barely making enough to pay for his accommodation, meals and bar bills.
The down-home Jolene, slightly younger, and a dedicated life-long fan, has a secret and finally decides to declare herself.
Whilst trying to help the inconsolable James, the divorced Storm Heart, missing his estranged wife, Shell Flower, comes to terms with being separated from the two people he loves most.
Laughing Daughter weaves these three loves; their frustrations and their triumphs, into one braided whole, with the songs and melodies of the American Heartland, the story is warm,
human and touching.
• Laughing Daughter: Late teens/early 20’s (Ideally although not essential also a guitar player)
• Junior Johnson: White/Caucasian traveling Country music singer/songwriter.
(Ideally also a guitar player)
(Guitar playing for JJ and LD is preferable but not essential, and will be
‘uncomplicated’ as there will be a five-piece ‘orchestra’)
• Storm Heart: Modern Indian Chief (40-60)
• James: Late teens/early 20’s
• Jolene: Heart-of-gold country girl (30-45)
• Shell Flower: Storms Hearts estranged wife. (40-60)
• Kachina: Male - A ‘puck-type’ the 4th wall - comical character.
Additional roles for an ensemble cast of four, who must be able to dance and sing/harmonize
Lenny Black (agent) Bubbalou Burns (country singer) Bartender, Musical Agent, Old Woman, Street Walkers, Agents Assistants, Tourists etc
Please only apply if you live in Maryland/DC or Virginia.
If you have any questions or would like to send your resume/headshot in advance,